Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Evaluate my GMAT: Profile please :-)

by AlphaDey » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:48 pm
GMAT:
Overall - 710 | Quant - 49 | Verbal - 38 | AWA - 4 | IR - 6

Academic:
a. 10th - 84.6%
b. 12th - 78.33%
c. Graduation - 70.8%(Computer Science & Engineering)

Work Experience:

3 years 6 months(by the end of March 2015) in Infosys Limited as a Systems Engineer.

Roles & Responsibilities:
1. Facilitator, educator and trainer for the Learning & Development (L&D) team in leadership, behavioral and communication skills domain.
2. Role of a consultant(without the official designation) for various production units - Gather requirements, design/customize courses and deliver them.
3. Learning mentor for 1800 people.
4. Batch manager of L&D for all training batches comprising of about 10,000 new recruits.
5. Presiding over Club Elate, an L&D initiative to nurture leadership skills amongst new recruits.
6. Designing and modifying various course contents.
7. Designing and modifying assessments.
8. Been working with global clients directly from a very early stage of my career.

Achievements:
1. Won the award of 'Best Educator for Foundation Program (training program for new recruits)'in 2014.
2. Trained over 20000 trainees in 200+ training sessions with an average feedback of 4.4/5
3. Doubled the number of participants and improved the overall quality of operations after taking the control of Club Elate.
4. Have received laudable feedback from the clients in the role of a consultant.
5. Built a tool which automated the project submission process for the training batches.

6. Part of the Design Thinking team. I am one of the initial set of employees who are trained to facilitate sessions in Design Thinking. Apart from delivering the sessions, I have made major contributions to redesigning the Design Thinking session. Design Thinking is the biggest initiative in Infosys right now, Our current CEO initiated this initiative and advocates it frequently.

Educational Achievements:
1. Certificate of Distinction in Mathematics International Assessment of Indian Schools.
2. Certificate of Credit in Science in International Assessment of Indian Schools.
3. Certificate of Excellence awarded by Robosapiens for the performance in industrial training cum internship program which earned me a grade of A+ for programming a robot whose movements could be controlled, which can monitor air cooling machines and can take pictures.

Extra Curricular:
1. President, Co-founder and English Teaching volunteer for Make a Difference-Mysore, a platform which engages the youth in empowering underprivileged kids by various interventions. Led a team of 30+ volunteers and 5 vertical heads in conducting two projects and stabilizing the chapter.
2. VP-Public Relations for Infosys Toastmasters. I have received the Competent Communicator award and the Competent Leader award. Trained all the other Public Relations fellows from other clubs in the city for Toastmasters International. Conducted a club level competition which was witness by around 400 people(This number is a record in the history of the club since its incubation which happened 5 years back).
3. Astronomy - I have received a certificate of Merit for my essay on 'Black Holes, White Holes and Worm Holes' which was chosen for an honorable mention in a national level competition on 'Breakthrough Invention of 21st Century Physics'. At my workplace, I have designed and delivered a Development Centre wide talk on astronomy.
4. I was certified at a very early age in 4 levels of painting - Pararambhik Part-I, Pararambhik Part-I, 1st year and 2nd year. In later point of life, this foundation provided a creative outlet to my desire to create abstract designs which I now express in the form of body art or in the form of art on paper. I have made more than 600 designs so far.
5. I have been the Master of Ceremony for spectacular events at workplace - which were attended by more than 1000 people.
6. Also, I am an amateur illusionist. I can show some mind blogging tricks which can trigger the reaction - 'What the hell just happened'.

My life's story and my choice of an MBA:

My dark skin tone and my obesity have been the objects of ridicule and pity for the society. I have lived in the zone of low self esteem for a very long time. After a long period struggle, I have managed to come out of it by mentoring myself and going through a process of exploration and conscious actions.
After my transformation, I decided to reach out to people who are in the same situation as I was. I had already picked up a gamut of skills to employ in my quest. I was chosen to be trained as a counselor by my organization so that I can counsel the employees if they need a support of that nature. I have also been trained as a coach by Make a Difference to manage my team better while working as a President.
I combined the skills that I picked up as a counselor and a coach and combined them with my life's learning into creating a tool which I use while reaching out to people. I have used the tool in the following ways:

1. I have mentored, coached and counseled kids at orphanages while working for Make a Difference, connected with them and enabled them to aspire a compelling future for themselves. I have used the same tools to keep the team at Make a Difference together, motivated and engaged.
2. At Toastmasters, I have mentored members, including the club president, to overcome barriers and challenges in Public Speaking.
3. In my day to day job as a facilitator, I have mentored various trainees in overcoming challenges which inhibits their potential.
4. I have finished writing a book based on the tool which I created. I am looking forward to publish it by the end of December or January.
5. I run a website where people seeking mentorship to overcome any challenge in life can seek my assistance for not cost at all.

--- I have mentored more than 1000 people via all these channels.

My mission is to create an organization which will provide the service of mentors to anyone and everyone across the globe who needs to overcome any challenge in life or career at minimal expense via telephone, via web or in person. I have gathered enough expertise in mentoring people and also in managing initiatives, teams and administrations. I want to leverage this expertise into creating the enterprise which I dream to. I believe an MBA program will help me to attain my goal.

I'm a little confused about where to apply and where will I have a good chance!

Can you suggest colleges from the FT top 20 and from the below list at which I'll have a good chance?

1. Harvard
2. University of Hong Kong
3. IE
4. IESE
5. HEC Paris
6. Mannheim
7. Cambridge
8. Cornell
9. Goizueta
10. ESADE
11. Duke
12. Tepper
13. Ceibs
14. Anderson
15. Georgetown
16. Darden
17. McCombs

Thank you for your time and kindness. Smile

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:05 am
Hey there mate - thanks for the post and all the juicy details!

Academically, you're ok. You didn't mention where you went to school, however? Your GMAT is ok, not great, but ok.

Professionally, you're starting to get interesting. You're with a big name company but in a different role and function and that makes things lively. You definitely have impact and scope to point to with your leadership and development initiatives and that will be important. I also like how you've been tapped for the Design Thinking project. Shows a little creativity and innovation as well as gives me a little insight into your relative performance.

From an involvement perspective, it's your work mentoring others that will really shine here. A 1,000 people is no joke! Other stuff you mentioned such as painting or being an illusionist or astronomy are fine to mention but they're not the important things.

Your goals are admirable. They're also slightly ambitious. Which isn't a bad thing - don't get me wrong. And a lot of your previous experiences can be leveraged to make it happen. But you don't have an entrepreneurial background and that'll raise eyebrows. But that's ok - just be prepared to address that proactively.

School wise, help me out here - what do you even WANT out of your MBA? You've listed programs that are LITERALLY all over the place. You have to have some requirements, no? If you haven't read this yet, visit "How to Choose MBA Programs" on our website. That's a good place to start. Then let's talk about which programs might make sense!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!