doubt SC 7

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC 7

by aditya8062 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:57 am
Genetic engineering sometimes entails plant or animal genes' getting spliced into other species' DNA, either to improve crop yields or for warding off insects or disease.
A. plant or animal genes' getting spliced into other species' DNA, either to improve crop yields or for warding off
B. plant or animal genes that get spliced into the DNA of other species, either for improving crop yields or the warding off of
C. the splicing of plant or animal genes into other species' DNA, to either improve crop yields or to ward off
D. splicing plant or animal genes into the DNA of other species, either to improve crop yields or to ward off
E. splicing of plant or animal genes into the DNA of other species, for either the improvement of crop yields or to ward off

my concern: i can understand that option C is wrong for the BAD parallelism in the construction "either improve crop yields or to ward off"; however, i want to know whether the construction "entails the splicing of plant or animal genes" in option C is also WRONG? i get the feeling that the construction "entails the splicing of plant or animal genes" (complex gerund in option C)is superior to "entails splicing plant or animal genes.." (simple gerund in option D)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:59 am
aditya8062 wrote: i want to know whether the construction "entails the splicing of plant or animal genes" in option C is also WRONG?
C: the splicing of plant or animal genes into other species' DNA
Here, two back-to-back prepositional phrases (of plant or animal genes, into other species' DNA) serve to modify the same preceding gerund (the splicing).
I would be skeptical of this construction.
Offhand, I can't cite an OA that has employed this construction.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3