Please Read

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please Read

by go2school » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:41 am
Hi Bhavik,

I posted this on another website..but I was hoping to get your take specifically.

I have an interesting situation I was wondering about:
I want to apply to "School A" which allows me to upload a letter of recommendation myself (presumably a generalized recommendation written in advance).
My former supervisor wrote a good letter of recommendation last year for me to apply to "School B" and gave me a copy. I didn't end up applying to "School B". Since last year and this year my supervisor and I had a bit of a falling out and no longer work together. They contacted me later and cleared the air but we really didn't talk again. They would probably write a new letter of rec. if I asked but...

I was wondering:
What would happen if I just submitted to "School A" the letter of rec. they wrote for "School B" myself? Just curious? This school has an option for applicants to upload recommendations..

Edit: my second required recommendation would be a lot more standard and usual.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:53 am
Hi there - I'm so sorry I didn't respond to this earlier! So you COULD do this but the risks are substantial. First off, you're submitting a recommendation on behalf of someone who probably wouldn't recommend you now. Strike one. Strike two is if they call to verify anything or ask questions. Then you're in trouble again. As you can see, there isn't a strike three I've listed but this puts you in dangerous territory. If you're going to do this, AT LEAST make sure your recommender knows you're going to.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!