Please Evaluate my profile.

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please Evaluate my profile.

by shashankprasad » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:10 pm
Hi,
I would be grateful if you could evaluate my profile.

EDUCATION
"¢ Bachelor of Engineering, (Electronics & Telecommunication)
University of Pune
Grade(s): 63.40% (first class)on degree
GMAT: Quant:48 Verbal:34 Total:660

Origin: Indian,Male

WORK EXPERIENCE: ( 44 months by August 2015)

Service based Information technology firm
Software Engineer (GUI Development)
"¢ Led 2-person team and implemented multilingual changes on MRI machine.
"¢ Developed new features for MRI GUI
"¢ Fixed defect/bugs present in the GUI
"¢ Ported the MRI code to windows 7 OS and Visual Studio 8 IDE
"¢ Gave presentation to senior management on porting related changes
"¢ Promoted to senior software Engineer.

Senior Software Engineer (Testing)
"¢ Led 4-person team for creation of UTC of a bedside monitor
"¢ Performed static analysis in accordance with MISRA guideline
"¢ Received appreciation from Delivery Manager for completing the task prior to deadline

Senior Software Engineer (Business Intelligence)
"¢ Worked on Proof of Concept(POC) using K- means cluster analysis and decision tree for credit card division
"¢ Involved in data cleaning and data preparation

Software Engineer (GUI Development)
"¢ Worked on redesigning MRI GUI

CERTIFICATIONS, HONORS & AWARDS
"¢ Completed a 1-year Certificate Course in Business Management (CPMB)(IITB)
"¢ Completed certificate course in Options, Futures and Other Derivative(University of Toronto)
"¢ Completed Lean Six sigma Yellow Belt from MSME
"¢ Pursing certificate course in Analytics(SAS)
"¢ Completed Level 1 (Elementary) Spanish language certification. Level 2 (Intermediate) in progress

EXTRA/CO-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
"¢ Member of 'Sparsh', a non-profit organization, which houses underprivileged children. I visit every fortnight to spend some quality time and offer teaching support
"¢ Event Manager of college Festival
"¢ Represented college and company football and table tennis team
"¢ Amateur guitarist
"¢ Orange belt in Karate
"¢ Led 4-person team for a bike expedition to Ladakh

Goal:
My short-term post-MBA goal is to work as a Business analyst in my current company . Working in service based technology firm will help me get exposure in different domain related to analytics such as insurance, retail etc. and help me gain experience across functional areas. After gaining this broad holistic experience my long-term goal is to lead as a CEO of an analytics firm, whether my own or a start-up that enables me to set its strategic direction and drive its growth.

Questions:
My concern is that I just have 2 months of experience in Business Analytics that to of providing POC, My firm did not get the Data Mining project so I had to shift back to GUI development. will this be a disadvantage?
To project myself as strong candidate I have already enrolled for business analytics courses and I plan to give base SAS certification test soon.

I want to Pursue an MBA in information technology and Analytics.
My university List is:
1) USC :
2) Gtech
3) UIUC
4) GeorgeTown
5) UC Davis
6) Rutgers

What are my chances of getting into these universities and what should I do to improve my profile to became a strong candidate for these universities.
Could you suggest any other universities.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:48 am
Hi there,

Thanks for posting. You have some solid analytical/engineering/project management experience plus recognition/promotions. It IS a competitive environment for engineering applicants though, and many in similar positions have much higher GMAT scores. To boost your chances at the schools mentioned I'd still probably suggest a GMAT re-take if possible (schools take the highest score), and beyond that the more you can show what makes you unique, why you need the degree, and why each school is the best place for you, the better!

In terms of other schools, really depends upon what you are looking for... For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: https://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book.

Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by shashankprasad » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:50 pm
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Your advice is really helpful.
I would certainly consider giving GMAT one more time.

I still need your expert advice as to whether I should focus on completing the application/essay first because 2 deadline for most of the universities than I plan to apply is by January first week or should I give the Gmat first.
I can give the gmat by January end after completing the essays.

Regards.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:01 pm
Hi again,

I would say that depends upon when you did most recently prep for and take the GMAT; if it was recent I would take it again sooner rather than later to continue that immersion and keep it fresh. If not, the date may not matter so much. As you know you have until the deadline to take the exam. Many people are doing both at the same time if needed (prepping GMAT and essays), so it's more of a personal question if just about how to balance your time etc. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders