Good in Quant but not Great....Scoring about 39 - 41

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Long story short, I have been studying for the GMAT for about 1.5 years now. Written the GMAT once and scored 540 overall. (Q40, V23) IR:8 and Essay 6

Earlier this year, I did the Magoosh Verbal focused 3-month schedule but saw little improvement. I've began to study again following the BEATTHEGMAT 60 day guide.

I'm at Day 22 just re-did GMATPREP - only quant portion and scored Q41 (slighlty inflated because I've seen 5 of the questions before). Using the error log, I've identified my weaknesses primarily in arithmetic / algebra and stats.

My questions is now, do I simply do more questions in those areas now to improve?
I want to get my Quant rock solid up to 45 before I start tackling verbal again.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:31 am
Hi sp3GT,

With an IR8 and AWA6, you're clearly a logical thinker, so the issue you're facing is more about your approach and less about intelligence. Over the course of 1.5 years, you've likely developed a narrow view of how to approach the Quant and Verbal sections and a few "bad habits." It shouldn't be too difficult for you to improve, BUT if you keep "seeing" the GMAT in the same way, then you're likely to score at the same general level.

You're likely going to have to invest in some new resources that will force you to see (and deal with) the GMAT in new ways.

When are you planning to take the GMAT?
What is your Overall Score Goal?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by sp3GT » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:52 am
The current resources I have are: Kaplan Premier Book / MGMAT Full Package of books / Subscription to Magoosh / OG13. While I have exhausted a lot of questions, there are still plenty on Magoosh that I haven't attacked.

I have not set my test date yet, but I am aiming for January. I'm currently at Day 23 of the BTGM 60 Day Guide.
Originally I wanted to score around 700, but I don't think I can do it anymore.

So I'm looking to score 640 - 680.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:17 am
Hi sp3GT,

Considering the length of time that you've already spent using the GMAT resources that you've listed, I think that's it's probably time for a change. There's nothing inherently wrong with what you've done, but the approach you've used hasn't produced the results that you're looking for.

You don't have to change your original score goal either, but you have to realize that a 700+ score represents the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to score at that level. With a potential January Test Date, you have plenty of time to change your Study Plan and attack this whole process in a new way.

When was the last time that you took a new practice CAT (not one that you took before)? What were your scores (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores) on that CAT?

Rich

by sp3GT » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:02 pm
Hi Rich,

I have not fully gone through the MGMAT Material since the 60 day BTGM guide mainly follows that. So I was planning to give this a shot before I move to new material once again.
I do understand that scoring 700+ is not a walk in the park and that is partially why I have reduced my overall goal score to the 640 - 680 range. I feel that is more attainable and more reasonable for myself.

June 2013 - Official GMAT Test - Q40,V23 - 540
May 2014 MGMAT CAT - Q36,V30 - 560 (Did not study quant since the June test, only focussed on verbal.)

June 2014 - Kaplan CAT - Q39,V25 (I did a free test and the results aren't saved anymore, but I remember being upset to see my verbal dropping once again back to where I started.)

What to do now Rich? Continue the 60 day guide?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:32 pm
Hi sp3GT,

There are a number of different ways for you to proceed, but there are some things that you have to realize:

1) All of your scores (CAT scores and Official GMAT) are "clustered", meaning that you keep "seeing" and reacting the Test in the same general way (with the "swing" in your Verbal scores, you are probably "narrowing down to 2 choices and then guessing" way too often).
2) Your prior approach to prepping for the GMAT was book-heavy and now you're working in a book-heavy way again.
3) Since Test Takers tend to be "creatures of habit", you're not likely to see a big score jump unless you significantly change your habits.

I don't have any opinion on the 60-day guide to offer, but it doesn't sound like you're changing your approach. To significantly raise your scores, you're going to have to look to approach this process in a different way. I suggest that you look into a Guided Self Study Course or Class - I think that you would benefit greatly from that type of guidance.

Rich

by sp3GT » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:15 pm
Rich, I actually started off my studied by taking Kaplan's course. My official score is from finishing the course the first time. Since I did not reach my target score, I took it a second time about a year ago now but didn't see too much help from it.

I did the Magoosh 3-month verbal focussed which I guess is a self-study?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:52 pm
Hi sp3GT,

I responded to your PM.

Rich

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:40 pm
I found success improving my quant by focusing on uncomfortable topics. If I didn't like when a certain type of question showed up, I knew I needed work in that area.

One thing you might look into is the BellCurves GMAT accounts. You can set up even a trial account and see what they have to offer. They have thousands of quant questions, including many many algebra and stats questions, and you get rated as you do questions. There are many categories and I found it so cool to shoot for higher ratings in each category.

I find the BellCurves verbal questions are not as good and think you might need another resource for good verbal work.

Just one caveat, there are errors in some of the, especially some of the harder, BellCurves questions, and so you have to check when you get one wrong, confirm that it was you and not they.

Still I got great use out of them.

By the way, your quant is way higher than verbal, and yet you scored 6 on the AWA. That's interesting. Maybe you could bump up the verbal by just understanding how to approach it a little better.

Also, be clear about one thing. The score on the Kaplan verbal section might be off. From what I have seen, test prep company verbal questions are often just not that tight. So you might be better at verbal that what that score seems to indicate.

Also I found this useful. After doing the exercises, I was significantly tighter on verbal. I saw the logic of things more clearly somehow. https://owlet.letu.edu/grammarlinks/modi ... ier2d.html

To get some better, more accurate CATs, use GMATPrep made by GMAC. Also, you can use PowerPrep, the earlier version, which you can find online and download. Between the two you have four rather accurate CATs, with tight, official GMAT questions.