Please evaluate my profile

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by andreyjv » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:49 pm
Male, 27, Brazilian/Italian.
Two graduations, Law GPA 3.3 and Business GPA 3.1 (two semester of my course I did in Spain)

One of the 11 candidates selected among 7.000+ applicants in the highly selective Young Talent hunting program of AES Brasil
3,5 years of work experience in Customer Service (3 years in a Energy Distribution Company). 1,5 years in a leadership position.

I tried the GMAT twice and got 640 (Q45 V32) both times, I am planning to take one last time.

Am I competitive with 640 for the top 15?

by andreyjv » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:52 am
Anyone?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:20 pm
Hello

Overall you have a decent profile. Your stats are weak for the top 15 but your work experience looks good. A candidate among the top 2% in a countrywide talent hunt will be an attractive applicant for adcoms. It also looks like you have undertaken leadership roles at your firm for a good amount of time. Can you elaborate your work experience? Tell me more about the projects you worked on, your accomplishments in them and your success in leadership roles (and their nature). Any extracurricular activities? You have mentioned that you have studied abroad. Did you travel abroad for work trips or projects?

The average GPA for top schools 15 business school is generally above 3.45. For the top 5 it is above 3.5. So to offset your lower than average GPA, your GMAT should be at least average+40 points of that school which is easily above 700. With 640 and 45 in the quantitative section, your chances are not very good. I would advise you to not rush the test and take it only when you feel you are confident of crossing the 700 mark. You will have to improve both quant and verbal score and target 49+ for quant.

What schools are you targeting and what are your post MBA goals?

This article can help you in framing a stellar application https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/6-comp ... pplication

All the Best
www.InterviewBay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

by andreyjv » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:48 pm
Thanks for the reply

Work experience:
- 1.5 years as a trainee, worked in 3 different areas in the company and lead 3 high-impact projects. Related to customer service
- 1.5 year as a customer service coordinator with a 7-analyst team (currently position), responsible to manage the operation's contract in Sao Paulo/BR (16MM clients)
- 0.5 year as interim manager, responsible to manage the customer service operation of 300+ employees. .
- 2 awards (1st and 3rd place) - projects related to quality management

Extra activities:
- Academic exchange to Spain (2 semesters)
- "Work Experience" in USA (worked in a ski resort for 4 months)
- During college - volunteer for 2y providing free judicial assistance for unprivileged people
- After college - enrolled for 1y in social programs at my company - implement safe and reliable energy in slums

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Vanessa Clemens » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:39 am
Your profile seems good but all depends on your GMAT Score too, which is not so good. You can evaluate your chances for B-School here - https://www.genedmba.com/evaluate-your-c ... b-schools/

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:770

by mbawisdom » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:54 am
Your education, work experience and achievements all look great to me. I have a law background too and it is extremely useful in business. I would focus on retaking the GMAT so that you have the best shot you can. At the moment it is a bit low compared to other applicants.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:39 am
Being Brazilian with interesting work experience and strong performance relative to your peers will help. That also cuts you a little slack on your GMAT. But that doesn't mean you'll be able to slide in with a 640. But that does mean getting with 20/30 points of the school's median will put you in play and contention. So I'm with the other posters here - definitely retake the GMAT if you're targeting the top 15!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:36 pm
andreyjv wrote:Male, 27, Brazilian/Italian.
Two graduations, Law GPA 3.3 and Business GPA 3.1 (two semester of my course I did in Spain)

One of the 11 candidates selected among 7.000+ applicants in the highly selective Young Talent hunting program of AES Brasil
3,5 years of work experience in Customer Service (3 years in a Energy Distribution Company). 1,5 years in a leadership position.

I tried the GMAT twice and got 640 (Q45 V32) both times, I am planning to take one last time.

Am I competitive with 640 for the top 15?
Hi Andreyjv

I wouldn't go all out and say that you should retake your GMAT but I wouldn't deny the need to maybe giving GMAT your best shot either.I would strongly suggest you to work on your career goals and achievements strongly so that you can present a very clear and concrete picture to the university. You have some pretty solid things which if put across in the right manner will work in your favour.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further queries and we would be happy to advice.
www.manyagroup.com