doubt SC 4

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC 4

by aditya8062 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:22 am
To many critics, it seems strange for Ms. Tramonivic, 72, the legendary print and visual artist who almost singlehandedly brought performance art to the general public and to large venues, to be working on a small off-Broadway dance project.

A) for Ms. Tramonivic, 72, the legendary print and visual artist who almost singlehandedly brought performance art to the general public and to large venues, to be working on a small off-Broadway dance project.

B) that Ms. Tramonivic, 72, the legendary print and visual artist who almost singlehandedly brought performance art to the general public and large venues, be working on a small off Broadway-dance project.

C) that Ms. Tramonivic, who is 72 and the legendary print and visual artist that almost singlehandedly brought performance art to the general public and large venues, is working on a small off-Broadway dance project.

D) for Ms. Tramonivic, 72, the legendary print and visual artist who almost singlehandedly brought performance art to the general public, to large venues, and to be working on a small off Broadway dance project.

E) that Ms. Tramonivic, who is 72 and the legendary print and visual artist who almost singlehandedly brought performance art to the general public and large venues, to be working on a small off-Broadway dance project

my concern: is the construction "it seems strange for Ms. Tramonivic to be working on a small off-Broadway dance project." correct? i feel that the better construction would have been "it seems strange THAT Ms. Tramonivic worked on a small off-Broadway dance project"

kindly tell me whether the construction "it seems strange THAT Ms. Tramonivic worked on a small off-Broadway dance project" SUPERIOR to the construct "it seems strange for Ms. Tramonivic to be working on a small off-Broadway dance project.

thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:07 am
aditya8062 wrote: my concern: is the construction "it seems strange for Ms. Tramonivic to be working on a small off-Broadway dance project." correct? i feel that the better construction would have been "it seems strange THAT Ms. Tramonivic worked on a small off-Broadway dance project"
Sometimes it functions as an EXPLETIVE: a placeholder pronoun serving to delay the subject.
Generally, the delayed subject is an infinitive phrase or a that-clause.
It seems strange for Ms. Tramonivic to be working on a small off-Broadway dance project.
Here, it is standing in for to be working on a small off-Broadway dance project.
Conveyed meaning:
To be working on a small off-Broadway dance project seems strange for Ms. Tramonivic.
kindly tell me whether the construction "it seems strange THAT Ms. Tramonivic worked on a small off-Broadway dance project" SUPERIOR to the construct "it seems strange for Ms. Tramonivic to be working on a small off-Broadway dance project.

thanks
It seems strange THAT Ms. Tramonivic is working on a small off-Broadway dance project.
Here, the conveyed meaning is that a particular event -- that Ms. Tramonivic is working on a small off-Broadway dance project -- seems strange.
The intention of the original sentence is to convey that working on a small off-Broadway dance project seems strange FOR A PARTICULAR PERSON (Ms. Tramonivic).
While your version is correct, it changes the emphasis and thus conveys a slightly different meaning.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Aman Ahuja » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:54 am
Hi Mitch,
Why is C incorrect?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Aman Ahuja » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:55 am
Hi Mitch,
Why is C incorrect?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:40 am
Aman Ahuja wrote:Hi Mitch,
Why is C incorrect?
C: The legendary print and visual artist that almost singlehandedly brought performance art to the general public.
Here, that serves to refer to artist.
On the GMAT, that cannot serve to refer to a person.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3