doubt SC 3

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC 3

by aditya8062 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:16 am
After all the recent political changes, the Syrians are figuring out again how they relate to each other and to the city they have always lived in without quite fully owning - figuring out how to create that city for themselves, both politically and socially, with bricks and mortar.

A. to each other and to the city they have always lived in without quite fully owning - figuring out how to create that city for themselves, both politically and socially, with bricks and mortar.
B. to one another and to the city in which they have always lived without quite fully owning - figuring out how to create that city for themselves, both politically and socially, with bricks and mortar.
C. to one another and to the city they have always lived in without quite fully owning - figuring out how to create that city for themselves, politically and socially, as well as with bricks and mortar.
D. to each other and to the city they have always live in without quite fully owning - figuring out how to create that city for themselves, politically, socially, and with bricks and mortar
E. to one another and to the city in which they have always lived without quite fully owning - figuring out how to create that city for them, politically and socially, as well as with bricks and mortar.

my concern: i selected B in this. i feel that the construction "city in which they have always lived" in B is much better than the construction "city they have always lived". also the construct "as well as with bricks and mortar" in C looks not oki .the proclaimed answer is C

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:38 am
aditya8062 wrote:the proclaimed answer is C
The OA does not seem viable.
C: the city [that] they have always lived in without quite fully owning
Here, the implied pronoun in brackets (that) is standing in for the city and serving as the object of the preposition in.
Conveyed meaning:
They have always lived in the city without quite fully owning.
The conveyed meaning is incomplete.
The gerund in red requires a direct object, as follows:
They have always lived in the city without quite fully owning IT.

I would ignore this SC.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:03 am
Thanks Guru for your reply.
The gerund in red requires a direct object, as follows: they have always lived in the city without quite fully owning IT.
Guru please tell me why a "gerund" (a kind of NOUN) requires another direct object ( another NOUN). this seems a very finer point but i am not able to understand

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:17 am
aditya8062 wrote:Thanks Guru for your reply.
The gerund in red requires a direct object, as follows: they have always lived in the city without quite fully owning IT.
Guru please tell me why a "gerund" (a kind of NOUN) requires another direct object ( another NOUN). this seems a very finer point but i am not able to understand
A TRANSITIVE verb requires a direct object.
An INTRANSITIVE verb does not require a direct object.
Generally, to own is considered a transitive verb.
Incomplete: John owned.
This sentence seems incomplete because owed lacks a direct object: the reader wants to know WHAT John owned.
Correct: John owned a house.
In the SC above, even though owning is gerund -- a verb serving as a noun -- it still conveys a transitive action and thus seems to require a direct object.
Incomplete: John lived in a house without owning.
Correct: John lived in a house without owning IT.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3