Requesting a Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Requesting a Profile Evaluation

by ssm87 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:39 am
Hello,

Thank you for taking a look at this post.

Profile: Indian / Male / 27

GMAT: 750 / Q49 V44 / IR 8 / AWA 5.5
GPA: 3.8 (Placed first in class at graduation)

Undergrad: Production Engineer @ Mumbai University (Not one of the top colleges in India)

Work Ex: 5 years currently.
Working with a large, brand name, century old Indian organisation. My experience is in oil, gas and energy heavy equipment sales, marketing and business development. My entire career has been devoted to growing sales in North and South America, and I have traveled often to the countries in the region for work purposes.

Highlights:

Saved 5.6 Million USD in backcharges after negotiations
Awarded 3 promotions and am the youngest in division's 35+ year history to be promoted to the current level
Collaborated with an MBB team as the client to develop our company's expansion vision. Our recommendations are currently being implemented
Handled the division's largest key account >USD 50 million
Part of the team that executed several strategic tie ups which led to an expansion in our product range.
Handle a team of 2-4 sales engineers

Extras:
Nothing special to write home about - this worries me.
Member of Student government at undergrad and high school levels.
Minimal volunteer experience (less than 100 hours in the past 5 years)

Short Term Goal:Immediately after my MBA I want to work with a strategy management firm of the stature of MBB, as a member of their energy practice.

Long Term Goal: Establish an energy advisory firm that works with the various state and central governments in India to help achieve the goal of 24x7 electricity in every home.

Target Schools: Kellogg, Sloan, Ross. I have limited time for applications and would appreciate your guidance regarding whether this is the right range of schools or should I reconsider.

Thanks in advance,
ssm87.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:13 am
Hi ssm87,

Congratulations for scoring 750 in GMAT! You also have strong academics and diverse work experience. The next step for you is to focus on right schools and start working on your applications soon as the deadlines are very near. You should ideally target schools which are good for career in energy like Haas, Duke, McCombs, Rice, Darden. You should target minimum 5-6 schools to increase your chances. Try our Chances of B-school Tool by clicking here https://goo.gl/XV8WeG

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com
ssm87 wrote:Hello,

Thank you for taking a look at this post.

Profile: Indian / Male / 27

GMAT: 750 / Q49 V44 / IR 8 / AWA 5.5
GPA: 3.8 (Placed first in class at graduation)

Undergrad: Production Engineer @ Mumbai University (Not one of the top colleges in India)

Work Ex: 5 years currently.
Working with a large, brand name, century old Indian organisation. My experience is in oil, gas and energy heavy equipment sales, marketing and business development. My entire career has been devoted to growing sales in North and South America, and I have traveled often to the countries in the region for work purposes.

Highlights:

Saved 5.6 Million USD in backcharges after negotiations
Awarded 3 promotions and am the youngest in division's 35+ year history to be promoted to the current level
Collaborated with an MBB team as the client to develop our company's expansion vision. Our recommendations are currently being implemented
Handled the division's largest key account >USD 50 million
Part of the team that executed several strategic tie ups which led to an expansion in our product range.
Handle a team of 2-4 sales engineers

Extras:
Nothing special to write home about - this worries me.
Member of Student government at undergrad and high school levels.
Minimal volunteer experience (less than 100 hours in the past 5 years)

Short Term Goal:Immediately after my MBA I want to work with a strategy management firm of the stature of MBB, as a member of their energy practice.

Long Term Goal: Establish an energy advisory firm that works with the various state and central governments in India to help achieve the goal of 24x7 electricity in every home.

Target Schools: Kellogg, Sloan, Ross. I have limited time for applications and would appreciate your guidance regarding whether this is the right range of schools or should I reconsider.

Thanks in advance,
ssm87.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:02 am
That's an amazing GMAT score - congratulations!! If you're targeting R2 programs, the question I have for you is - what's your goal? Is it to get in come hell or high water? Or are you ok with applying in R1 should R2 not pan out? Your answer will shape my answer.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by ssm87 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:55 am
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:That's an amazing GMAT score - congratulations!! If you're targeting R2 programs, the question I have for you is - what's your goal? Is it to get in come hell or high water? Or are you ok with applying in R1 should R2 not pan out? Your answer will shape my answer.

Bhavik
Thanks for the reply. So while the goal is to get in this year, I do not intend to just apply anywhere and everywhere. I want to target the three schools listed above, and if necessary will drop one / add a fourth that may be easier to get in to, thereby increasing my odds of converting. This is why I need to understand whether my choice of schools is:

A) a stretch but gettable
B) Not impossible but unlikely
C) Bat shit crazy

Hope this helps.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:46 pm
Thanks for the reply. So while the goal is to get in this year, I do not intend to just apply anywhere and everywhere. I want to target the three schools listed above, and if necessary will drop one / add a fourth that may be easier to get in to, thereby increasing my odds of converting. This is why I need to understand whether my choice of schools is:

B) Not impossible but unlikely
C) Bat shit crazy

I think each of your choices are definitely gettable. Don't try and restrict yourself to only these though. Add in 1-2 more colleges to your kitty.

Hope this helps.[/quote]
Mansie Dewan

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:27 am
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

by ssm87 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:32 am
Thanks Mansie and Anil for your replies and the much needed confidence boost!