After OG ?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

After OG ?

by gmat7m » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:52 am
I am done with my OG and want some additional practice (want to focus slightly more on DS).

Which book would be better Manhattan Advanced Quant or Kaplan 800 ? My concepts are clear, just want more practice on tricky questions and avoid silly mistakes. I would be taking the 6 MGMATs at a later stage.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:48 am
Hi gmat7m,

When you mentioned the OG, I assume that you mean the OG13 or GMAT2015 book. If you're looking for additional Official questions, then there is the Quant-specific book by GMAC.

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-GM ... t+official

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:56 am
gmat7m wrote:I am done with my OG and want some additional practice (want to focus slightly more on DS).

Which book would be better Manhattan Advanced Quant or Kaplan 800 ? My concepts are clear, just want more practice on tricky questions and avoid silly mistakes. I would be taking the 6 MGMATs at a later stage.
For additional practice, you need not look any further than Beat The GMAT. There are thousands (more like tens of thousands!) of practice questions posted on this site, AND they're answered by expert GMAT instructors.

Also, to help you focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics

You can also sort by Data Sufficiency questions.

See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:40 am
As an MGMAT instructor, my position is biased, so I won't claim to recommend one book over another. I just have a few pieces of advice for you:

- Make sure you're paying attention to timing as well as accuracy. You've gone through the OG, but were you timing yourself? If you haven't yet taken any CATs, then you may be surprised by the difference in taking it under time pressure.

- Make sure you're making connections between questions within a particular topic, and not treating each question simply on a case-by-case basis.

The MGMAT Advanced Quant is an excellent resource for students who thoroughly understand the concepts and rules tested, and want to push themselves to attack more advanced structures. The book focuses on particular strategies for 700+ DS and PS problems, and contains hundreds of extremely difficult practice problems to test out those strategies.

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by dabral » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:29 am
My advice would be to practice with the GMATPrep Question Pack 1 pool of questions. These questions are official GMAT questions, they are harder on average than the Official Guide and are closer to the exam. You can create sets of DS questions and practice them under time and pressure.

Cheers,
Dabral
Free Video Explanations: 2021 GMAT OFFICIAL GUIDE.