doubt SC

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC

by aditya8062 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:46 am
J.S. Bach was more prolific in terms of sheer hours of music composed than was any other classical composer, including over two hundred complete cantatas and almost 500 separate works for solo instruments.

A.J.S. Bach was more prolific in terms of sheer hours of music composed than was any other classical composer
B.J.S. Bach was more prolific in terms of sheer hours of music composed than any other classical composer
C.J.S. Bach was more prolific than any other classical composer in terms of sheer hours of music composed
D.J.S. Bach, more prolific than any other classical composer in terms of sheer hours of music composed
E.In terms of sheer hours of music composed, J.S. Bach was more prolific than any other classical composer

my concern: i want to know the nuance regarding the usage of "comma + including". Is it that "comma+ including" MUST refer to a PLURAL NOUN before the comma? i am asking this because just as "SUCH AS" MUST refer to plural noun so must "comma + including" . if i go by that logic then is option C (the proclaimed answer) not violating this rule as "MUSIC" is singular
Last edited by aditya8062 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:30 am
aditya8062 wrote: my concern: i want to know the nuance regarding the usage of "comma + including". Is it that "comma+ including" MUST refer to a PLURAL NOUN before the comma? i am asking this because just as "SUCH AS" MUST refer to plural noun so must "comma + including" . if i go by that logic then is option D (the proclaimed answer) not violating this rule as "MUSIC" is singular
COMMA + including must refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING PLURAL NOUN.
The following is an OA from GMAC:
The new image of Stone Age people has emerged from the examination of tools found in Germany, including three wooden spears.
Here, including refers to tools, the nearest preceding plural noun.

In the SC above, including serves to refer to HOURS, the nearest preceding plural noun.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:48 am
Thanks Guru
i realize that options A and B are not so wrong to eliminate them. the answer to this question is C (earlier i had wrongly written as D). can u please tell me as how do we eliminate A and B .i feel that "including" is rightly referring to "hours" in both A and B as there is no eligible "plural noun" in either of the choice

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:36 am
aditya8062 wrote:Thanks Guru
i realize that options A and B are not so wrong to eliminate them. the answer to this question is C (earlier i had wrongly written as D). can u please tell me as how do we eliminate A and B .i feel that "including" is rightly referring to "hours" in both A and B as there is no eligible "plural noun" in either of the choice

Thanks
A and B imply the following comparisons:
J.S. Bach was more prolific in terms of sheer hours of music composed than was any other classical composer [prolific], including...
J.S. Bach was more prolific in terms of sheer hours of music composed than any other classical composer [was prolific], including...
In each case, an entire clause in red appears between COMMA + including and its intended referent (hours).
This structure is not viable.
The intended referent for including must be explicitly stated at the end of the clause that immediately precedes COMMA + including.

I would ignore the SC above.
To be profilic means to produce a great amount of work.
Thus, it seems redundant to say that Bach was PROLIFIC in terms of sheer hours of music composed.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:03 am
The intended referent for including must be explicitly stated at the end of the clause that immediately precedes COMMA + including.
thanks Guru for this point

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by yangayev » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:59 am
J.S. Bach was more prolific in terms of sheer hours of music composed than was any other classical composer [prolific], including...
J.S. Bach was more prolific in terms of sheer hours of music composed than any other classical composer [was prolific], including...

Are the colored sentences correct, not considering other parts?

Mitch, explanation plz.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:18 am
yangayev wrote:J.S. Bach was more prolific in terms of sheer hours of music composed than was any other classical composer [prolific], including...

Are the colored sentences correct, not considering other parts?

Mitch, explanation plz.
The colored sentences are incorrect.
As I noted in my post above, the intended referent for COMMA + including must be explicitly stated at the END of the preceding clause, as in the following:
Bach composed many TYPES OF MUSIC, including over two hundred cantatas.
Here, the intended referent for COMMA + including -- types of music -- is explicitly stated at the end of the preceding clause.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3