GMAT 580 (Q-47,V-23) Need help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT 580 (Q-47,V-23) Need help

by p_m » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:49 pm
Hi, I gave my exam yesterday messed it up completely :( Got tensed during verbal section.
In prep exams I was scoring consistently 650(V31-32).
Going to reattempt in dec end.

Please help me out on how to improve my verbal score.
In practice exams I was able to apply the concept but during GMAT exam I found the SC and CR questions tough. The questions in gmat exam were different from the ones I practiced (Or I might be tensed thats why I was not able to figure it out). I was able to eliminate 3 choices but was getting confused between 2 choices. Also I guessed last 5 questions because of my pacing.

Class - Princeton review
Books - OG 13,12,11 and Verbal 2nd edition.

Can you help me figure out the steps I need to take to improve in less than 30 days.
I have taken leave from office and can study entire day.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:09 pm
Hi p_m,

You mentioned how you plan to reattempt at the end of December (which is about 60 days away), but then you say that you want to improve in less than 30 days, so which one is it?

I'd like to know a bit more about how you studied, so that I can offer some pointed advice:
1) How long did you study?
2) Did you use any additional materials besides the ones that you mentioned?
3) How did you score on each of your practice CATs (please include your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) Which "brand" of CATs did you take?
5) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by p_m » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:32 am
Hi Rich,

I am thinking of taking GMAT again in Dec last week but before scheduling I want to reach to a level where I can be confident enough to get above 35 in verbal and I want to achieve this in 30 days.

1) How long did you study? - For 2 months.
2) Did you use any additional materials besides the ones that you mentioned? No other material used.
3) How did you score on each of your practice CATs (please include your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
MGMAT-1 640 (Q-45,V-33)
MGMAT-2 630 (Q-44,V-32)
Princeton-1 650 (Q-49,V-32)
Princeton-2 650 (Q-46,V-34)
Gmatprep exam-3 610 (Q-47,V-28)
Gmatprep exam-4 650 (Q-48,V-31)

4) Which "brand" of CATs did you take? - Princeton, Manhattan and GMAT prep exam pack 1.
5) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? Yes. I gave the entire CAT each time.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:47 pm
Hi p_m,

If you took each CAT in its entirety (as you said), then it's possible that you just had a "bad day" on Test Day. If that's the case, then you can just continue to study as you have been. However, if there are any other factors, then we need to figure them out so that you can make the necessary adjustments so that those issues don't occur again.

To that end, I have some additional questions:

1) How many of these CATs did you take in the last week before your Official GMAT?
2) What time of day did you take these CATs and what time of day did you take the Official GMAT?
3) What did you do in the last 48 hours before your Official GMAT?
4) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
5) How long was the ride to the Testing Center?
6) Was there ANYTHING about Test Day that did not match your practice (different foods, Test Center distractions, etc.)?

Rich

by p_m » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:53 am
Hi Rich,

I got tensed after the IR section thinking that I did not perform well. And during quant I had some pacing issues and I solved last 5 questions in 5 min. Also, during the break I was thinking of my performance and started off verbal slowly than normally I do making me more tensed.

Regarding your questions.
1. I took 2 CATs. No CAT 48 hours before.
2. I took the CATs always at the same time as my scheduled GMAT.
3. I didn't have proper sleep(7 hours) than usual(8-9 hours). My ride was around 30-45 minutes.
4. No distractions. Regular food.

I think I was not able to handle the pressure. May be giving exam after 4 years caused this.

For verbal practice should I use the same material again? Since I am familiar with questions and might be able to guess the answer before-hand.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:21 pm
Hi p_m,

With the extra information that you've provided, it seems more likely that some tension/anxiety affected your performance on Test Day. While it's tough to do, you have to "let go" of whatever feelings you have about how you're performing after you complete each section of the GMAT and begin the next section with the right attitude and energy. You can use your breaks to grab a quick snack and clear your head.

I think that taking the GMAT on a Thursday might be too late in the week for you to perform at your best. You also did not tell me what time you took your Official GMAT - if it was later on in the day, then you might also have been a little too tired to perform well in the Verbal section. You might want to focus on computer-based resources during this next round of studies. Book-based resources don't force you to do the work in the same physical way that the Official GMAT will.

Rich

by p_m » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:37 pm
Sorry Rich forgot to mention my gmat test time. It was in afternoon from 2pm to 6pm.
Thanks for your suggestion I will work more on computer-based resources.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:52 pm
Hi p_m,

Do you have a normal weekday routine (for example, a job that has you working consistent hours)? If so, then what time do you normally wake up in the morning? What time did you wake up the morning of your Official GMAT? I think that starting your Official GMAT later in the day (and later in the week) might have been partially responsible for your dip in performance. Many people tend to perform better on standardized tests under the exact opposite conditions - early in the day and early in the week.

Rich