I just lost my job

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

I just lost my job

by Slappy Sanchez » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:53 am
That's not necessarily how I wish I would have to start this post but now that it's out there, it will help you understand my situation better.

For the last year I had been working as a forensic accountant, working mostly with hospitals, clinics, and an occasional oil and gas company. I went into work Thursday, and my boss called me into her office and told me that they would be letting me and a couple of other people go. At first I was upset and sad (like anyone would would be), but then I realized, I didn't even like working there so this is really a blessing. Then she asked if she could help me with anything, and I told her that I had been planning on taking the GMAT, and going for my MBA (as accounting just isn't my thing). She said she would be happy to give me a letter of recommendation, and anything else to help me on my way. In the end, I am getting a nice severance, and a letter of recommendation from one of the largest forensic accounting firms in the South.

I have been planning on taking the GMAT since Aug. but I never had the time to sit down and actually study. Now I have plenty of free time. I am planning on making study my full time job, and I will sit for the GMAT either in Dec. or Jan. I will dedicate 5-6 hours per day to this test, and work hard for the best score.

Here are my dilemmas that I hope somebody on this forum can help me with (as this is a forum full of knowledge and experience).
1) My GPA was a 2.5, and I test horribly. It's not that I am dumb, and its not that I study poorly. Throughout college I would study and go over problems multiple times to where I could recite principals of accounting and business backwards and forwards. It wasn't until my last year in college (at the behest of my new bride) that I went to get tested for a learning disorder. I found out that I have ADHD, and a testing disorder, and what the doctor was recommending were things that I wasn't doing before (study in a quiet place, get time and a half, take medication, etc., etc.). So not catching this earlier cost me in the GPA area. I am now on medication, and I will be getting time and a half on my GMAT. I am sure I can't get into Hult with this GPA, but what are the top school that I can realistically look into? I have heard from several people that if you can blow out the GMAT (maybe a 680+) a 2.5 GPA won't kill you.

2) My pretest, I answered 35 verbal correctly, and I answered 12 answers correctly in the quantitative section (don't we all). I know my weakness, and my weakness is quant. I have never done well with algebra, geometry, etc. How can I improve this section? If I can even get half of those missed 25 questions correctly I could have a mid 600 grade. I have worked as a financial analyst and an accountant for the last 3 years, but the math required in those careers was just adding, subtracting, division, multiplication, and that was it. Is there a silver bullet, or a magic cure? How can I learn all that math in 2 months?

3) I graduated in 2011 with a BA in Business Management and a minor in accounting from a local university, and will have about 3 years of work experience when I submit my application. I started as an Analyst and was promoted within 5 months to senior analyst on the BP Oil Spill project. I have started a company that focused on the BP Oil Spill, and that company has reported over $5mil in business. I took this past job as a forensic accountant and was promoted within 5 months of being there. How can I work this work experience, and entrepreneurship into an application to help me gain favorable consideration?

4) I really do not want to go back to accounting. I really would like to get into finance, maybe focusing on being an analyst doing oil and gas work, or as a medical analyst. What MBA programs have a focus on the oil and gas sector, or medical sector? Tulane, Rice, UT, Texas A&M for oil and gas, Michigan for Medical sector? Any ideas? Has somebody done this research, and is willing to share?

Thanks for your help everyone. With your help, and my hard work, I can beat the GMAT.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:56 pm
Hello, Slappy Sanchez! It sounds as if you have a solid career plan in place, which is great. This is a forum thread to post questions to GMAC, the makers of the GMAT exam, so we cannot provide too much guidance on your career questions, but I can offer you some advice on your GMAT prep. First, if you have not already, I suggest you download GMATPrep, our free online study software. You can use this software to gain more insight into which areas in quant you have the greatest strengths and weaknesses: https://www.mba.com/store/product-info.a ... ID=80.0027. You may also want to try GMAT Focus, an online study product designed specifically for preparing for quant: https://www.mba.com/gmatfocus?CID=1AF1A7 ... ID=80.0027. Both of these products use real, retired GMAT exam questions, so they will give you a good idea of what to expect from the exam.

As for your question about using your MBA for a career change, we know many students have done that. You may want to go to mba.com for more resources on how to an MBA can help launch a new career, and get advice from students who have done so. You can find more information here: https://www.mba.com/global/plan-for-busi ... reers.aspx.

Good luck!
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!