How important is Teach for India Experience in B school app?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi,

My profile in short:

GMAT - 670 (50,31, 4.0)
Toefl - 109
WE - 3.75 years in Automobile Ind + 1 yr entrepreneurship in Music industry

Till now I have got admit from Hult B school. Further, I have received an offer from Teach for India for 2 years fellowship.

I just want to know, how much important is fellowship from Teach for India and with this experience can I add more value to my profile.

Will it help me to get into Top 20 B schools in US?

Regards

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:06 pm
Congrats on getting into TFI. My brother is a fellow too.

It will help you, but I would urge you to use TFI to help the education situation in India and not just because it will help you into a top school.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:50 am
Hi Mithilesh,

Honestly use your work ex "3.75 years in Automobile Ind + 1 yr entrepreneurship in Music industry" well in you essays because that will highlight the diversity and differentiate you from other Indian applicants.

Teach for India can be a good line item to add in the profile or the app form but can be a make or break thing.

Apphelp Team
www.apphelp.co.in

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Sneha Sudge » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:48 am
Apphelp, please can you elaborate on this -"Teach for India can be a good line item to add in the profile or the app form but can be a make or break thing". How will it "break thing". I'm also looking forward for TFI and MBA post TFI. So I would like to know the pros and cons of this.

@Mithiliseh, did you join TFI? If yes can you help me to understand the opportunities post TFI. Did you also do an MBA post TFI?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:51 pm
mithilesh.vnit85 wrote:Hi,

My profile in short:

GMAT - 670 (50,31, 4.0)
Toefl - 109

Till now I have got admit from Hult B school. Further, I have received an offer from Teach for India for 2 years fellowship.

I just want to know, how much important is fellowship from Teach for India and with this experience can I add more value to my profile.

Regards
TFI is great, but right now, more than anything, what will help you get into Top 20 programs is 40+ more points on your GMAT!!!

Best,
JF
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:50 pm
Agreed with Jon here - TFI is amazing (and it's great that you're taking the time out to make a difference!) but look at your profile overall. The GMAT needs a little love!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vaibhav0101bhatt » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:21 am
Jon@Admissionado wrote:

My profile in short:

GMAT - 670 (50,31, 4.0)
Toefl - 109

Regards
TFI is great, but right now, more than anything, what will help you get into Top 20 programs is 40+ more points on your GMAT!!!

Best,
JF
Hi,
My profile
Gmat - 730 (Q 49, V 40, AWA 5.5)
GPA - 61% (engineering from bangalore)
Work ex- 2 yrs as an IT consultant at Accenture, 2 years as an entrepreneur (marketing services)
Currently helping a tech startup to launch the product by creating product plan, target audience etc.

Career goal - post mba- Product management in a software tech oriented company
Long term - Tech entrepreneurship

I'm gonna apply to HBS, stanford, chicago booth and YSOM

I am looking for a US based Application coaching for 2nd round

but my first question, Am i being too ambitious?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:54 am
Teach For India looks excellent. Many MBA schools have tuition waivers for "Teach For America" so they might extend these tuition waivers to Teach For India since Teach For India is part of Teach for All that was founded through Teach For America and Teach First.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:56 am
To the second poster, no you are not being too ambitious, especially if you graduated from IIT-B. Feel free to contact me for a free assessment.

Have a great weekend,
Michael Cohan
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:54 am
Sneha Sudge wrote:Apphelp, please can you elaborate on this -"Teach for India can be a good line item to add in the profile or the app form but can be a make or break thing". How will it "break thing". I'm also looking forward for TFI and MBA post TFI. So I would like to know the pros and cons of this.

@Mithiliseh, did you join TFI? If yes can you help me to understand the opportunities post TFI. Did you also do an MBA post TFI?
Hi Sneha,

We have worked with many TFI candidates who have applied to ISB. While many have got through but TFI didnt play an important role during the interview process. Their interview highlights were other aspects on the experience.

Infact many times it appeared that adcom saw TFI as a digression. You were in a job, you left job and joined TFI. Now you want to get back into a good job and hence MBA. If you say that post MBA you want to get into a regular job then you are demeaning TFI by not pursuing it post MBA. If you say TFI then you have to logically defend why working with TFI needs MBA and how will you repay loans etc.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:43 am
My perspective differs from my colleague's perspective in that I do not think Teach For India should be a break thing. First, schools understand that becoming a TFI Fellow is selective so the very fact you are applying as a TFI Fellow is a positive.

Second, if you pursue a regular job just build upon your TFI experience. This could be specifically endeavoring to involve your company in TFI or more broadly pursuing leadership opportunities in corporate social responsibility within your new company. If you choose to remain with TFI you can state how you wish to pursue management positions with the organization and hence why an MBA.

Good luck,
Michael Cohan
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:17 am
vaibhav0101bhatt wrote:
Jon@Admissionado wrote:

My profile in short:

GMAT - 670 (50,31, 4.0)
Toefl - 109

Regards

Best,
JF
Hi,
My profile
Gmat - 730 (Q 49, V 40, AWA 5.5)
GPA - 61% (engineering from bangalore)
Work ex- 2 yrs as an IT consultant at Accenture, 2 years as an entrepreneur (marketing services)
Currently helping a tech startup to launch the product by creating product plan, target audience etc.

Career goal - post mba- Product management in a software tech oriented company
Long term - Tech entrepreneurship

I'm gonna apply to HBS, stanford, chicago booth and YSOM

I am looking for a US based Application coaching for 2nd round

but my first question, Am i being too ambitious?

Hello

Your GMAT score is good but your GPA is quite low. Get it converted by WES on the 4 point scale.

Your work experience is quite unique for an Indian applicant and it will certainly help you stand out. Make the most of it in your essays.
Tell me more about your work experience as a consultant and as an entrepreneur - how successful were you? how was your performance in comparison to your peers? your achievements so far as an entrepreneur and currently with the tech start - up.

Your post MBA goals seem reasonable and well thought. Your work experience coupled with an MBA will certainly help you in realizing these goals.

Coming to your target schools - HBS, Stanford, Booth are ambitious but it always advisable to be a little ambitious and apply to one or two dream schools. What is important is that in addition to these, you also apply to a few safe schools. Your GMAT score is good, but it is average for HBS and Stanford and that would have been fine if not for your GPA.

Tell me more about your work experience and extracurricular activities. With substantial leadership potential, you may stand a chance even with your current stats.

Get your application evaluated by an alum to get a better perspective on you application.

Do get back to me.

All the best
www.InterviewBay.com
Application Reviews and Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School