Is a 680 gmat score enough?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is a 680 gmat score enough?

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:04 am
Hey there,
This is Sagar here from India. I scored a 680 on my GMAT and i want to get into the Yale Silver Scholar program. My other choices are HBS 2+2, Stanford, Chocago Booth and IESE Spain. My academics are pretty strong and I fall in the top bracket of my college's grading system. As a part of extra-curricular activities, I've been a musician for 7 years and also have an album to my name. I have taken active part in my college cultural shows for 5 years now and have also headed one of the events in one year.
I have no formal work experience but I have worked as an artist manager for 6 months wherein I demonstrated managerial and entrepreneurial abilities and got to hone my strategic thinking skills.
I'd like to know what chance I stand at Yale and the other programs. If people could suggest other programs to me that too would be great :)

Thanks,
Sagar

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:01 am
Hi Sagar,

To make your profile more competitive as a Indian applicant retake GMAT and target score of 740+ to increase your chances. Your strong academics may also help you. Focus on applications along with your GMAT preparation so that you can dedicate more time for your applications.You can try Chances of B-School Tool to predict your chances for top B-schools by clicking here https://goo.gl/XV8WeG

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:55 am
Echoing Manish, I feel a higher GMAT score would help your chances considerably.

The average GMAT score for Yale Silver Scholars was a 720 and HBS 2+2 was a 730. So, you figure the average Indian GMAT score will be even higher.

Good luck on your retake,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:34 am
You can get into top MBA programs with a low GMAT score. Your GMAT score gives schools information about your analytical abilities. In order to gain admittance in spite of a low GMAT score, your application needs to highlight your analytical achievements. See some more tips here: https://www.aringo.com/top_MBA_with_low_gmat.htm

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:58 pm
Definitely work on that GMAT - deferred admissions programs have become really difficult to get into over the last few years and even though programs like Yale are expanding the number of seats available, you're up against stiff competition - a higher than average GMAT for an Indian male is table stakes, not a differentiator.
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!