Plan

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Plan

by imskpwr » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:51 pm
Why Skill and Will of implementer is not considered a reason for plan success?

Plan is to achieve X.

CAN WE CONSIDER implementers skill/will as a factor in judging whether plan will be able to achieve its goal X?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:20 pm
Hi imskpwr,

The types of logic that appear in CR prompts are predictable and usually involve the "linking" of ideas. It's the same type of thinking that you'll use in Business School (and beyond) and tends to hinge on your attention to detail and your ability to understand the logic involved.

The "skill" and "will" of whoever is doing a plan is too low-level of an issue for the GMAT. The easiest way in the real world to argue that a plan won't work is to say "the guy who runs the plan didn't show up to work that day, so the plan failed." That's NOT what an MBA student/graduate should be thinking about, since anyone can point that idea out.

Unless a prompt specifically discusses the issue of "skill" or "will", you are meant to assume that both the skill and the will are there to make the plan succeed. To strengthen/weaken the plan, you have to look at the details of the plan and look for what the plan "hinges on."

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:06 am
imskpwr wrote:Why Skill and Will of implementer is not considered a reason for plan success?

Plan is to achieve X.

CAN WE CONSIDER implementers skill/will as a factor in judging whether plan will be able to achieve its goal X?
In most cases, a PLANNING argument concludes that IF A CERTAIN PLAN IS IMPLEMENTED, IT WILL ACHIEVE ITS GOAL.
Whether the plan can be implemented easily -- whether the planner has the skill or the will to implement the plan -- is not to be considered.
Our main concern:
Whether the plan -- once implemented -- will yield the expected result.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by BTGmoderatorAT » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:35 am
If plan is not implemented, that's were the skill and will enters.

Is my statement right?