GMAT Prep course - E-gmat/ Empower GMAT/ Magoosh

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi

Could anyone please help me in choosing the best value for money online study program? I have heard and read great reviews about these three courses, any suggestion on which one is better? Also if anyone recommends any other program, I would gladly consider:)

Thanks
Last edited by Riya on Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 am
Hi Riya,

My guess is that you're looking for more of a "peer" review of the 2 courses, but you can feel free to ask me any questions that you might have (in this thread, through a private message or you can email me directly).

If you're interested in taking a look at the EMPOWERgmat Course, then we do offer a Free Trial (it's on the main page at www.empowergmat.com) - you can try it out, get a feel for the Course and then decide if it matches your personality, timeline and budget.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:227 members

by e-GMAT » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:22 pm
Dear Riya,

I agree with Rich that taking the free trial may be the best way to evaluate the courses. In addition, I would like to invite you to attend the free session this weekend (October 18th, 7 am Pacific or 7:30 PM IST). Click below to register for the session.

https://e-gmat.com/sentence-correction/ ... =gcnl&id=3

You may also visit the page below to know how we have helped non-natives ace the GMAT.

https://try.e-gmat.com/300-reviews-celebrations/

See you in session tomorrow.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by confused13 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:49 pm
If you want Q+V, I recommend Empowergmat - Rich's videos for the quant part are awesome! However, I was not very satisfied with the verbal here. That's why I also bought e-Gmat SC and CR. Both great courses, I highly recommend them.
So if you want verbal only, definitely e-GMAT.
I haven't tested their Q so far, but I don't plan to because as I said for quant: go for empowergmat. Don't think any prep company could do it better - just equally good, and that's when empowergmat will be cheaper.
To sum up:
Quant only --> empowergmat
Verbal only --> e-GMAT
Q+V, but V is already good --> empowergmat

by Riya » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:03 am
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Rich and Rajat, you both are right, I am looking for a more peer review of the two courses. Should be able to make my choice in a day.

Confused13: Thanks for replying. I cannot afford to pay for both courses. Hence, I'm looking at a program that gives equal weightage to all sections in terms of explanation. I came across Magoosh. Do you have any suggestions?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:35 pm
Hi Riya,

I'm going to address one of Confused13's points - I believe he was using some of the older material (and that material just didn't help him to hit his goals). Over the last couple of months, we've gone through an overall upgrade of our Verbal Modules, including an entirely new set of RC Modules and new material devoted exclusively to "reading tactics" (which is an important strategic skill that most Test Takers don't properly develop). The results of these upgrades have led to some fantastic results (which you may have already read about in these Forums).

For many Test Takers, attempting to put together the proper combination of GMAT study materials can seem like a challenge. That's one of the reasons why we allow all Test Takers the opportunity to try out the EMPOWERgmat Course for free.

If you (or anyone else) has any specific questions, then you can always feel free to contact me (or the team at [email protected]) directly.

Rich

by mayurmm » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:38 pm
Hi Riya,

If you are a non-native or if your first language is not English, I would recommended going for E-GMAT for Verbal.

I have also subscribed to Magoosh and have found them to the best for Quant.

Regards,
Mayur

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:50 pm
Hi mayurmm,

Since your last post was almost 2 years ago, I'm curious about how your studies have been going? How have you been scoring on your practice CATs? When are you planning to take the GMAT? I'm happy to offer advice if you have any questions.

Rich

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by confused13 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:58 am
Yes I also had access to magoosh (a friend bought that one and gave me his login details)

I didn't like it that much. Magoosh teaches you content BUT NOT CONCEPTS TO BEAT THE GMAT (same as manhattan gmat does) - that's why empowergmat is unbeatable in quant. HOWEVER, they have a huge database of questions. But I don't think one needs that because it is not official material and the OG has more than enough questions to solve. If you have additionally the quant review book, you have more than you'll need and in my case more than I was able to work through.

Rich, thanks for the infos. I will give you guys another shoot soon. I took my gmat end of july, and had a subscription in june and may. Is that the time frame with the older material? I don't know about the new material so I refer only to the videos during may, june and july.

TO thread-opener: GO for empowergmat, cheaper & better. e-GMAT is way to high priced. What I know about magoosh is that as far as CR concerns they have a similar approach as e-GMAT. empowergmat SC and MGMAT SC is good enough. RC remains a mystery to me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:35 am
Hi confused13,

Yes, the upgraded Verbal materials were inserted into the Course in September, so you would probably find it beneficial to swing back around and work through the new material.

Rich