doubt34

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt34

by aditya8062 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:42 am
Being that he is most famous for creating exquisite jewelry, Louis Comfort Tiffany was also an important innovator in the fields of architecture and interior design during the Art Nouveau movement of the early 20th century.

A. Being that
B. Because
C. Whenever
D. Although
E. Notwithstanding the fact that

my doubt: i am not able to understand the contrast with the usage of "although" in D.
if someone is most famous for creating exquisite jewelry then i CAN expect him to be GOOD in the fields of architecture and interior design.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:25 am
Hi aditya8062,

In this SC, the words "Louis Comfort Tiffany WAS ALSO...." introduces the idea that this person was known for doing/being more than 1 thing. Only 2 of the answers would make any sense at the beginning of the sentence (answers D and E) and one of them (answer E) is terribly worded.

I can't think of any common source of information that connects an ability to make exquisite jewelry with the potential to be an INNOVATOR in the fields of architecture and interior design, so I'm not sure how you can justify your expectation that Tiffany would be "good" in those other fields. Someone who crafts exquisite jewelry could very easily have no other exceptional skills, so your argument against the use of the word "although" is questionable.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:29 am
thanks Rich for your reply .
ON a second thought i feel that i can view the contrast as follows:although he is MOST famous for creating exquisite jewelry, Louis Comfort Tiffany was also an important innovator in the fields of architecture and interior design during the Art Nouveau movement of the early 20th century.

i think my judgement, in time constraint, got influenced from the fact that i was looking for a very evident contrast (i do this mistake often) as in: Although Tom is a bad boy, he cares for his cat