Profile Evaluation Please !!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Please !!

by Garima138 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:45 pm
Hi,

I'm an Indian Female doctor with around two years of work experience besides one year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation.
I've had a good academic record and have been pretty active in extracurricular activities.
I'm based in HK right now and I'm planning to apply to HKUST and HKU.

My detailed profile is as follows:

Dr. Garima Singh

GMAT Details:

"¢ GMAT Score 680 (q47,v36). It was my first attempt.
"¢ AWA score: 5
"¢ IR: 4

Graduation Details:

"¢ MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) from a recognized Government Medical College in India in 2011.

Work Experience:
"¢ 3 full-time years including an year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation.

Work Related Details:

"¢ An year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation in a Government Civil Hospital in Jhansi, India.
"¢ Two years of full time job as a resident in a private hospital owned by my family.
"¢ Six months of Government job in District Hospital in Varanasi, India, in Maternity and Neonatal unit.

Extra-Curricular Activities:

"¢ Wrote a Weekly Health Column for Local Newspaper for about two years.
"¢ Volunteered for Monthly Health Checkups for an orphanage a few times.
"¢ Volunteered in Remote Rural Health Camps from time to time.

About me:

I'm a hard working person good with communication skills. I have Graduated in the field of medicine and have experience as a working Doctor. As I have worked for my Family Hospital, I have also had the opportunity to handle some managerial and Financial Matters.
Having worked in the Government Hospital for about Six months, I have had experience to work with very little resources and handle tough situations when needed. The System and Management was so weak and difficult that it motivated me to learn more about the Management Aspect and thus For MBA.
I've moved to HK after my marriage and my degree isn't Valid here. It's the Best time for me to make use of this opportunity and start working for the bigger plan.

My goal:

For now, it is the right time to get into a good MBA program and learn about the Management and Financial Aspects deeply and then gain a few years of work experience in Health sector preferably. Soon after, I would want to move back to India and upscale my family Hospital to a Corporate Hospital and establish many new branches. So MBA is definitely going to help my Immediate as well as Long term plans.

Do my scores and profile seem to qualify me to apply for the universities I'm aiming for? I'm a little anxious about my lesser work experience.
Also, what are the other courses I can consider staying in HK?

Thanks in advance.
Garima. :-D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:59 am
Hello

You have a very uncommon profile which could work in your favour. Your GMAT score is within range for these schools. Get your GPA converted to the 4.0 scale so it gives you a better idea of where you stand. The work experience you have so far will definitely count. The experience you gained at your family hospital is also quite valuable and you can certainly discuss this in your essays. Keep in mind that business schools are looking for students with organizational and leadership skills. You will have to work on what elements in your profile portray these skills. Did you save the hospital significant amount of money or other resources? Did you optimize expenditure, resources, schedules, etc at the hospital? Did you at any point, lead a team of doctors for a critical surgery or delivery? Other than your practice of medicine, how did you contribute to the hospital and its growth, making it more efficient and successful? As a doctor, you might have many successful stories to tell in your essays which display your cognitive, leadership and decision making skills. It is true that you may fall short of work experience at these schools as the average number of work experience is pretty high. Moreover a gap in your resume can hurt your chances to a great extent so I suggest you take up a job if possible or volunteer full time in Hong-Kong.

The extra-curricular activities that you have been part of are also decent. Try to improve your profile with some more ECs before you start applying. Were you part of any ECs during your college? You are quite clear on why you want to pursue an MBA and what you intend to do after it which is a good thing as you will have to explain why MBA and your post -MBA goals in your essays. Also, you will have to come up with a good answer for how an MBA from a particular school will help you attain these goals. You can probably discuss how an MBA will help you in being a successful hospital administrator.

You can also take a look at the full time MBA programs offered by the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) and the University of Hong Kong.

All the best

www.interviewbay.com

Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target Business School

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:05 am
Hi Garima,

You have diverse profile with decent GMAT and work experience for the shortlisted schools, so the next step for you is to focus on your applications and work on building solid application which will enhance your chances of getting admit. Ideally you should apply to 5 schools to increase your chances, you can also consider applying to CUHK, CEIBS, Ivey Business school Hong Kong campus, Manchester Business school Hong Kong campus. You can also try Chances of B-School Tool to gauge your chances by clicking here https://goo.gl/XV8WeG

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com

Garima138 wrote:Hi,

I'm an Indian Female doctor with around two years of work experience besides one year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation.
I've had a good academic record and have been pretty active in extracurricular activities.
I'm based in HK right now and I'm planning to apply to HKUST and HKU.

My detailed profile is as follows:

Dr. Garima Singh

GMAT Details:

"¢ GMAT Score 680 (q47,v36). It was my first attempt.
"¢ AWA score: 5
"¢ IR: 4

Graduation Details:

"¢ MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) from a recognized Government Medical College in India in 2011.

Work Experience:
"¢ 3 full-time years including an year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation.

Work Related Details:

"¢ An year of compulsory rotatory internship after graduation in a Government Civil Hospital in Jhansi, India.
"¢ Two years of full time job as a resident in a private hospital owned by my family.
"¢ Six months of Government job in District Hospital in Varanasi, India, in Maternity and Neonatal unit.

Extra-Curricular Activities:

"¢ Wrote a Weekly Health Column for Local Newspaper for about two years.
"¢ Volunteered for Monthly Health Checkups for an orphanage a few times.
"¢ Volunteered in Remote Rural Health Camps from time to time.

About me:

I'm a hard working person good with communication skills. I have Graduated in the field of medicine and have experience as a working Doctor. As I have worked for my Family Hospital, I have also had the opportunity to handle some managerial and Financial Matters.
Having worked in the Government Hospital for about Six months, I have had experience to work with very little resources and handle tough situations when needed. The System and Management was so weak and difficult that it motivated me to learn more about the Management Aspect and thus For MBA.
I've moved to HK after my marriage and my degree isn't Valid here. It's the Best time for me to make use of this opportunity and start working for the bigger plan.

My goal:

For now, it is the right time to get into a good MBA program and learn about the Management and Financial Aspects deeply and then gain a few years of work experience in Health sector preferably. Soon after, I would want to move back to India and upscale my family Hospital to a Corporate Hospital and establish many new branches. So MBA is definitely going to help my Immediate as well as Long term plans.

Do my scores and profile seem to qualify me to apply for the universities I'm aiming for? I'm a little anxious about my lesser work experience.
Also, what are the other courses I can consider staying in HK?

Thanks in advance.
Garima. :-D