Laki Volcano!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Laki Volcano!

by gmat_perfect » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:55 am
An unusually severe winter occurred in Europe after the continent was blanketed by a blue haze resulting from the eruption of the Laki Volcano in the European republic of Iceland in the summer of 1984. Thus, it is evident that major eruptions cause the atmosphere to become cooler than it would be otherwise.

Which of the following statements, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) The cooling effect triggered by volcanic eruptions in 1985 was counteracted by an unusual warming of Pacific waters.
(B) There is a strong statistical link between volcanic eruptions and the severity of the rainy season in India.
(C) A few months after El Chichn's large eruption in April 1982, air temperatures throughout the region remained higher than expected, given the long-term weather trends.
(D) The climatic effects of major volcanic eruptions can temporarily mask the general warming trend resulting from an excess of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
(E) Three months after an early springtime eruption in South America during the late 19th century, sea surface temperatures near the coast began to fall.

[spoiler]OA: C[/spoiler]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by brijesh » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:17 pm
gmat_perfect wrote:An unusually severe winter occurred in Europe after the continent was blanketed by a blue haze resulting from the eruption of the Laki Volcano in the European republic of Iceland in the summer of 1984. Thus, it is evident that major eruptions cause the atmosphere to become cooler than it would be otherwise.

Which of the following statements, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) The cooling effect triggered by volcanic eruptions in 1985 was counteracted by an unusual warming of Pacific waters.
(B) There is a strong statistical link between volcanic eruptions and the severity of the rainy season in India.
(C) A few months after El Chichn's large eruption in April 1982, air temperatures throughout the region remained higher than expected, given the long-term weather trends. Actually this option also weaken the statement but this is about a particular valcano.
(D) The climatic effects of major volcanic eruptions can temporarily mask the general warming trend resulting from an excess of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. This is my choice...This option states that cooling after Volcanic eruption is a temporary.
(E) Three months after an early springtime eruption in South America during the late 19th century, sea surface temperatures near the coast began to fall.

by hero » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:19 pm
to weaken an argument you do not need to destroy the answer. you're not looking for something that is obvious and blows all other choices away. instead, the correct answer will most likely undermine the conclusion. As such, your reasoning for answer (C) is correct.

in a weaken question, only 1 answer will weaken the conclusion. the other 4 will either strengthen the conclusion or more likely, just not weaken the answer. keep this in mind.

Answer D actually strengthens the argument. Yes it says it is temporary, but it also demonstrates another example of when the cause in the stimulus occurs, the same effect occurs. this supports the conclusion, not weakens it.
brijesh wrote:
gmat_perfect wrote:An unusually severe winter occurred in Europe after the continent was blanketed by a blue haze resulting from the eruption of the Laki Volcano in the European republic of Iceland in the summer of 1984. Thus, it is evident that major eruptions cause the atmosphere to become cooler than it would be otherwise.

(C) A few months after El Chichn's large eruption in April 1982, air temperatures throughout the region remained higher than expected, given the long-term weather trends. Actually this option also weaken the statement but this is about a particular valcano.
(D) The climatic effects of major volcanic eruptions can temporarily mask the general warming trend resulting from an excess of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. This is my choice...This option states that cooling after Volcanic eruption is a temporary.

by Md Raihan Uddin » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:08 am
C and D are very close to me. By applying casual relationship I can eliminate D.

Another thing about D is it is talking about general fact. But still I am not convinced about my POE for D. Because if D is true, we can assume that the cooling effect given in question may be temporary and actually climate would become warmer soon. So, weaken the conclusion.

I need help from expert for D not for C
Last edited by Md Raihan Uddin on Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:24 am
Md Raihan Uddin wrote:C and D are very close to me. By apply casual relationship I can eliminate D.

Another thing about D is it is talking about general fact. But still I am convinced about my POE for D. Because if D is true, we can assume that the cooling effect given in question may be temporary and actually climate would become warmer soon. So, weaken the conclusion.

I need help from expert for D not for C
The conclusion is that major eruptions cause the atmosphere to become cooler than it would be otherwise.
D offers an EXAMPLE of this conclusion: the climatic effects of major volcanic eruptions can temporarily mask the general warming trend.
Whether eruptions cause the temperature to cool for one day or for one year is irrelevant.
By offering an example of how major eruptions cause the atmosphere to become cooler than it would be otherwise, D SUPPORTS the conclusion.
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3