profile evaluation

by Rajesh Jha » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:57 am
Hi All,
Please evaluate my profile.

Male,Indian,27
Education- BTech from WBUT GPA is 7.2
10th -83
12th -79
Expected GMAT- 720. currently getting 730-740 in veritas mocks and similar score in 2nd gmat prep test.
Appearing for GMAT on 11th October.

Extra Curricular

Avid quizzer, have seen some time on national television,ESPN to be precise for school quiz. Ended up as National runners up.
Winner of National Creativity Olympiad.
State level Basketball player.
Won many basketball and volleyball tournaments for my past and present employers.Was school and college captain in basketball. Popularized basketball in my college. I was one of the main reasons the college authorities decided to build a new basketball court in school.
Organized and sponsored basketball tournament at state level where army teams and teams from different district eventually participated.
Trained instructor in Acupressure and body work. Presently assist a full time doctor in the evenings in treating patients through alternate therapies.
Have done some tall treks in the Himalayas. Have done some backpacking and travelling in my life
Involved with the volunteering and social service team of my employer.
Very thoroughly read in eastern philosophy and religion.

Work Experience
14 months in an American MNC IT firm as a Program Analyst.
30 months in a top 5 steel manufacturing company as Manager,IT
Assisted the Treasury team in building and implementing a Forex exchange system.
Assisted the accounts department in refining bank payment portals and interface.
Currently working on Electronic Bank Reconciliation,Cash Forecasting and other major initiatives of Cash office

Short term Goals-
Will like to work for an IT product manufacturing company. I have knowledge of IT as well as a the requirements of IT product manufacturing companies like SAP.

Long Term Goal-
Will like to come back to India and work on improving the quality of life of natives in my state. I have lots of ideas,but discussing them here will be beyond the scope of the post. Heart of hearts ,i want to gain some international exposure,learn some general management skills, become street smart,filling my pockets at the same time so that i can come back in 5-7 years and carry on with my long term plans. Don't know how to connect my long term and short term goals. Any advise on these lines will be highly appreciated.

Targetting top colleges like Wharton and London Business School, although would settle for a top 30-40 range college.

Cannot over emphasize the importance of scholarship.
AM i being insanely optimistic?
Pls advise.

Thanks in advance,
Rajesh Jha

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:25 am
Hi Rajesh,

You are at the right stage of your career when most of the applicants dream of getting into top B-schools. You should be optimistic as you have a solid profile with strong extra curriculars and make it even stronger with 700+ GMAT. The next step for you is to get started with working on your application as the deadlines are very near and it requires more amount of time for stellar application. Let me know if you have any questions.You can try our Chances of B-School Tool by clicking here https://goo.gl/XV8WeG

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com
Rajesh Jha wrote:Hi All,
Please evaluate my profile.

Male,Indian,27
Education- BTech from WBUT GPA is 7.2
10th -83
12th -79
Expected GMAT- 720. currently getting 730-740 in veritas mocks and similar score in 2nd gmat prep test.
Appearing for GMAT on 11th October.

Extra Curricular

Avid quizzer, have seen some time on national television,ESPN to be precise for school quiz. Ended up as National runners up.
Winner of National Creativity Olympiad.
State level Basketball player.
Won many basketball and volleyball tournaments for my past and present employers.Was school and college captain in basketball. Popularized basketball in my college. I was one of the main reasons the college authorities decided to build a new basketball court in school.
Organized and sponsored basketball tournament at state level where army teams and teams from different district eventually participated.
Trained instructor in Acupressure and body work. Presently assist a full time doctor in the evenings in treating patients through alternate therapies.
Have done some tall treks in the Himalayas. Have done some backpacking and travelling in my life
Involved with the volunteering and social service team of my employer.
Very thoroughly read in eastern philosophy and religion.

Work Experience
14 months in an American MNC IT firm as a Program Analyst.
30 months in a top 5 steel manufacturing company as Manager,IT
Assisted the Treasury team in building and implementing a Forex exchange system.
Assisted the accounts department in refining bank payment portals and interface.
Currently working on Electronic Bank Reconciliation,Cash Forecasting and other major initiatives of Cash office

Short term Goals-
Will like to work for an IT product manufacturing company. I have knowledge of IT as well as a the requirements of IT product manufacturing companies like SAP.

Long Term Goal-
Will like to come back to India and work on improving the quality of life of natives in my state. I have lots of ideas,but discussing them here will be beyond the scope of the post. Heart of hearts ,i want to gain some international exposure,learn some general management skills, become street smart,filling my pockets at the same time so that i can come back in 5-7 years and carry on with my long term plans. Don't know how to connect my long term and short term goals. Any advise on these lines will be highly appreciated.

Targetting top colleges like Wharton and London Business School, although would settle for a top 30-40 range college.

Cannot over emphasize the importance of scholarship.
AM i being insanely optimistic?
Pls advise.

Thanks in advance,
Rajesh Jha

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:49 am
If you are looking to a scholarship at Wharton and LBS, yes you are being overly optimistic. However, if you are looking for scholarships from schools outside of the Top 25 (30 to 40), then you are not.

Considering your goals are for IT Product Manufacturing, I would still suggest you apply to schools like Haas, Tepper, etc. as well as to the less selective schools. Then compare the ROI over a lifetime between those schools offering scholarships and those schools which are not. Make sure to filter out any schools that do not offer loans without a U.S. co-signer.

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:37 am
Hello Rajesh

The applicant pool of Indian IT males is very high. To make it to the top business schools, you will have to make sure that your profile stands out. Your GPA, if it is on a scale of 10, is quite low for top schools such as Wharton, where the average GPA is quite high every year. I would advise you to get your GPA converted on the 4 scale so you will have a better idea of where you stand. It would be great if you can score around 720 on GMAT as it will offset your GPA to a great extent. Focus on getting a high quant score. For Wharton and LBS, however, you will need to do much better than a 720.

You seem to have worked on some major projects as an IT manager. During these 3- 4 years, did you assume the role of a team leader? As an analyst, how was your performance rated by your superiors? In your essays you should emphasise on how you went up the ladder from being an analyst to a manager and the crucial projects you worked on. Focus on your achievements and experiences that highlight your leadership potential and skills as a manager.

You have a list of extracurricular activities that will be of interest to adcoms. Discuss your trekking experiences. Did you climb any known peaks in the Himalayas? As part of the social service team of the employer, what activities have you been a part of? Discuss the impact the social service team has had on the society and your role in it. You should also discuss your passion for basketball. You should emphasize how you were directly responsible for popularizing the sport in your college and the organization of many tournaments. Though you have very good extracurricular activities from your school days, as you are applying to graduate school, your ECs from work and college will take precedence.

Your short term goals are pretty clear and convincing and it will help if you could make your long term goals a little more clear. If you have any specific ideas to help the natives of your country, discuss them. The more specific you can be the better. If these ideas involve use of any IT products or software - you can use that as a link. You should also discuss what moves you towards social entrepreneurship. You can quote examples from your volunteering experience.

Sounds like you are looking for an MBA in IT. Wharton and LBS could be slightly far. You can take at look at the following schools where MBA in IT is a popular concentration - Tepper, IE Business School, Cornell - Johnson and GIT - Scheller. For scholarships, a lot depends on your overall profile. GMAT will be a critical deciding factor. So I would advise you to focus on your test right now and give it your best shot.

You can check out this article to get a better idea of MBA in IT https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/top-mb ... reer-in-it

All the best
www.interviewbay.com
Application Reviews and Mock Interviews by alumni of your Target B-School

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Rajesh Jha » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:04 pm
Thanks for the reply everyone.
However,my GMAT did not go too well yesterday. I scored a lowly 660 with a score of 44 in qa (incidentally this was also my lowest mock score which included veritas,manhattan n GMATPrep mocks). So to say that i am disappointed will be an understatement. Early on in the exam i had the feeling that i am making mistakes. I guess it had to do more with nerves than with anything else.I think i made 4-5 incorrect choices in the 1st 10 questions itself,so that did my score in. As the test progressed, i built momentum and i think test was going in the right direction. But in my wildest of imaginations i could not have imagined a score of 44 in quant.
But i guess its good in a way, if i had gotten a score of say 48 in qa with 700 OA, i might have applied to colleges with a relatively low score. Now i will give GMAT a try next month again. I feel that even now if i give the exam again,i should be able to score at least 700. But this time i would target more. My concepts are pretty much locked in. I think i just need to practice.Any advise on what should i do in the coming month to prepare better. Even if it gets too late in the year to apply in this season, i will apply in the next. But hopefully,i wont have to wait.

Regards,
Rajesh

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:07 am
Rajesh,

Good luck with your studying and retake and let us know how you do.

Have a great weekend,
Michael Cohan
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Rajesh Jha » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:51 am
Hi everyone, After the previous disaster I took my GMAT today and got a score of 750☺. However got a 49 in quant. I don't know if that's going to hamper my chances. But anywas what do u suggest I do? Hote do I proceed about with may applications with second round deadline looming ahead

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:22 pm
Rajesh Jha wrote:Hi everyone, After the previous disaster I took my GMAT today and got a score of 750☺. However got a 49 in quant. I don't know if that's going to hamper my chances. But anywas what do u suggest I do? Hote do I proceed about with may applications with second round deadline looming ahead
Congratulations Rajesh on the great score. I think you should now gear up and begin cracking on your applications. Good Luck with it! God Bless!
Mansie Dewan

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:53 am
A 750 is awesome!!!! Congratulations!!!!
Michael Cohan
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com