Best GMAT Book for Strategy?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Best GMAT Book for Strategy?

by Mister_Fox » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:17 pm
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a book that goes over high level strategy for the exam before I start digging into specific problem sets and questions?

Per the book recommendations on this site, I just bought the official "GMAT Review". However, it seems to be heavily focused on practice questions and less so on strategy. I'm definitely glad I bought it and will finish it, but I'm looking for a book that delves deeper into strategy.
Last edited by Mister_Fox on Mon May 25, 2015 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:30 pm
Hi Fox,

While there are certainly books that can help you learn content (math skills, grammar) that you'll need for Test Day, GMAT strategy is best learned by doing. It's akin to trying to find a book about how to ride a bicycle vs. actually getting on a bicycle and having someone help you to learn (so that you're building up "muscle memory" as you're taught).

Since the GMAT is a standardized Exam, you can learn all of the necessary content, patterns and tactics/strategy before you take the Official GMAT. You'll benefit far more from a practical "hands on" approach than a theory-based one. Enrolling in a GMAT Course might be what you need (since a Course will be able to delve deeper into everything than a book can).

What type of studying have you done so far?
Have you taken the Official GMAT or any FULL-length practice CAT tests?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by BestGMATEliza » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:40 am
I agree with Rich that the best way to learn strategy is by practicing. You will need to learn a lot of content, especially for SC and Quant. Once you have an understanding of the basic content, you could look into books like Kaplan 800 or MGMAT Advanced quant which do discuss strategies for the more difficult questions, but these aren't really helpful until you have you have a good grasp of all the content.

Hope this helps!
Eliza Chute
Best GMAT Prep Courses
GMAT course comparison and reviews
Your one stop for all your GMAT studying needs!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by Mister_Fox » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:49 pm
Thanks guys, this makes sense to me. I have not started studying yet.

I assumed it would be like a college course, where taking a bunch of practice exams wouldn't be as helpful as having a excellent professor teach you the material, but I guess this is a different ball game.

Appreciate the help, I'll start on some questions!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:21 pm
Hi Fox,

If you can answer a few questions about your goals and plans, I can offer some suggestions to help you put together a Study Plan.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) Are you thinking about any specific schools/programs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]