Profile Evaluation - MBA Journey Begins

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation - MBA Journey Begins

by BBest » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:25 pm
Sorry if its a little lengthy, wanted it to be as detailed as possible. Looking for some advice/help.

My Exhilarating Profile:

GPA: 3.0 - 3.1 from a Top 10-15 Canadian University (one of the three largest). Majored in Law and Political Science. Had a 3.3 in my major and a 3.7 in my minor in my final year, upward trend. Took economics classes as electives: A in Calculus 2 and Macro (top 5% of class), B's in Calculus 1 and Micro (top 10-15% of class)
GMAT: 700-720 expected
White male

Low GPA: Worked 2 part-time jobs each year; in my final year I worked 40hrs/week at a marketing company while doing full-time school. I was also on Student Council for four years - added ~20-25hrs/week on top of my already full-time hours.

WE: I currently work at a Fortune 20 tech company. Started as a Tax Coordinator, and after one year was promoted to Junior Project Manager. I plan to be here for a total of 3-4 years (hopefully move into their consulting sector). Worked as a Leadership Development Assistant during my first year.

Extras/Community:
-Was on varsity soccer for two years (won Nationals in my first year)
-Invited to training camps/try-outs in England and Brazil (was invited back to stay and train in Brazil)
-Heavily involved in my University - was Student Council Promotions Director, VP twice, and President. We were given ~$200 000 each year to spend on our affiliated students (approx. 8000 students were affiliated with us).
-Sat on University Student Representative Roundtable (sat with all University Execs, i.e., President, VPs, Provost, Senators, student club Presidents, etc to discuss all University matters)
-Elected to the University Orientation Steering Committee (sat with all University Execs, i.e., President, VPs, Provost, Senators, etc to discuss all University matters revolving around student Orientation)
-Was given two leadership awards by the University; i) Outstanding Contribution and Dedication to the University, ii) Outstanding Contribution to Student Life
-Created and presented Leadership Workshops on my own time to student club/organization members
-Was a member of the Presidents Association (Met with other student club/organization presidents weekly)
-Was apart of an organization that helped raise money for low-income families in our community, helping cut costs so kids could come to camp (we taught them sports, tutored them, etc)
-Was apart of the Movember Fund - charity supporting male prostate cancer
-Was apart of an organization that sought to raise money for cancer research, help cancer patients and their families for two years
-a Muay Thai fighter

Goal: I want to leverage my project management experience in finance/IT to transition into management consulting in the financial services area; aiming for MBB.

Schools: Wharton, Columbia (ED?), Kellogg, Booth, MIT Sloan, NYU Stern, and Yale (would maybe like to cut another 1 or 2 of these)

My questions:
i) Would I be competitive at any of these? Which are stretches, and which, if any, am I competitive at? Should I add others?
ii) Should I look into doing an alternative transcript? If so, which classes?
iii) Since I have a couple years until I would apply, is there anything else I could do/build on to help my chance? Extras, community stuff, etc?
iv) Which schools seem like a better fit for me? I'm a very social individual.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:53 pm
Thanks for sharing your profile, you are targeting some top-tier programs which can field classes full of extremely well qualified candidates. As I think you realize your GPA is the red flag in your profile. I think you have some relevant qualifiers in your description above again the numbers are the numbers. Even if you create a compelling explanation for this, your GPA will not be an area of strength in your application. Both GMAT & undergrad performance are considered when evaluating a candidate's academic abilities. An above-average GMAT can help to overcome a below-average GPA, but it cannot overcome a score that is well out of the range for a target school. So once you take an official test we will have a better idea of whether this will be a strength or weakness.

I would focus on really capturing your really strong extra-curriculars in your essays and interviews to differentiate your profile from other candidates. This area is an area that can balance the playing field in some instances for candidates like you but it is up to you to best highlight your unique experiences. There is still a ton unknown about your profile but I feel Kellogg would be your best of the top schools on your list given their focus on their person and less of a reliance on pure numbers based evaluations. NYU and Yale to a lesser extent of the non-elite schools you can most likely be competitive at as well and also be a good fit at.

Hope this helps!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!