doubt 23

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt 23

by aditya8062 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:35 am
The average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.

(A) The average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.
(B) The average individual's cost by the end of 21st century of going into space s estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.
(C) By the end of 21st century, the average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.
(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.
(E) It is estimated that by the end of 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.

doubt: what is so wrong in "The average individual's cost of going into space"? i can understand that is wrong but cannot pinpoint as why it is wrong
ALSO i want to know is the construction "cost to the average individual" correct? should it not be "average cost to an individual"

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jaspreetsra » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:51 am
Individual's cost means the cost of the individual. But we need the cost that the individual is bearing, that is cost to the individual.
Hope, may be helpful!
:)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by james » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:34 pm
I also feel the correct expression should be
"it is estimated THAT the cost to X of Y WILL BE"

X: the average individual
Y: going into space

Is the OA E

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 am
aditya8062 wrote:The average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.

(A) The average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.
(B) The average individual's cost by the end of 21st century of going into space s estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.
(C) By the end of 21st century, the average individual's cost of going into space is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.
(D) To go into space, the cost to the average individual is estimated at a fraction of the price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel by the end of 21st century.
(E) It is estimated that by the end of 21st century the cost to the average individual of going into space will be a fraction of the current price per economy ticket of transatlantic airplane travel.
A, B and C: estimated at
The preferred idiom is X is estimated TO BE Y.
Eliminate A, B and C.

In D, to go seems to refer to the cost, implying that the cost is estimated in order for the cost TO GO INTO SPACE.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
doubt: what is so wrong in "The average individual's cost of going into space"? i can understand that is wrong but cannot pinpoint as why it is wrong
Here, it is not crystal clear whether average serves to modify individual or cost.
It must be clear what a modifier is modifying.
ALSO i want to know is the construction "cost to the average individual" correct? should it not be "average cost to an individual"
In this context, the average individual means the TYPICAL individual.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3