Sports

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Sports

by j_shreyans » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:36 pm
The biathlon is one of the world's most demanding sports, it combines the endurance of cross country skiing with the precision of expert marksmanship.

A)sports, it combines

B)sports; that combines

C)sports; it combines

D)sports, where they combine

E)sports in which they combine

Guys ,

I know that the original sentence is a run on sentence so i can eliminate option A and i can also eliminate option D and E because of plural. But i am confused between B and C.

Pls suggest and correct me i am wrong.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmatcracker0123 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:02 pm
IMO- C

You are correct about the sentence being a run on sentence however the usage of 'which combines' - a non essential modifier would have solved the problem.

When a semicolon is used, both the sides of the semicolon need to be individual sentences and need to be related.

Option B does not allow the part after the semicolon to be a complete sentence beacuse of the use of THAT which is an essential modifier.

Option C uses IT to directly refer to the Biathlon and also satisfies the requirement of the part after the semi colon to be a complete sentence.[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by j_shreyans » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:35 am
Yes you are correct essential and non essential will solve this problem.

OAC

Thanks....

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by pooja181 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:07 am
IMO- C

You are correct about the sentence being a run on sentence however the usage of 'which combines' - a non essential modifier would have solved the problem.

When a semicolon is used, both the sides of the semicolon need to be individual sentences and need to be related.

Option B does not allow the part after the semicolon to be a complete sentence beacuse of the use of THAT which is an essential modifier.

Option C uses IT to directly refer to the Biathlon and also satisfies the requirement of the part after the semi colon to be a complete sentence.[/spoiler]
My skype id- varun289verma

Visit http//
www.freegmat.in

for free gmat practice test - unlimited and free....

'to beat the gmat - take daily test at freegmat.in than analyze each question '