verbal score30 in the mocktest- how to imrpove?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear All,

Hello. I am writing from Hyderabad, India.
My GMAT exam date is: 10th Oct'14.
Today, I gave my third mock test from the GMAT Prep and got a very less score of 620 (earlier two tests were at: 510 and 560 respectively kaplan and an another site). I got 68 percentile in Quant(*45) and 56 percentile in Verbal(ie: 30). Overall was 620 (69 percentile). Specically, my verbal has been bad. (* I am weak in Quant from my school days....)
The biggest problem is with my timings. I was left with more than 15 questions in the end - so marked them randomly.Can you all pl. give me few tips for improving my verbal score?
The problem was with CR & RC.

reg

roopa
Hyderabad

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:09 am
Hi roopa ramesh,

You've made some nice improvements from your earlier practice CAT tests. I'd like to know more about how you've been studying so far and your overall plans:

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials have you been using to study with?
3) What is your goal score?
4) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your other CATs?

5) Can you push your Test Date back?

Your pacing problem is due to how you're approaching each section; to fix that problem, you're going to need to change your overall tactics. To do THAT, you're likely going to need to invest more time, money and effort into this process. Two weeks is not a lot of time, but with another 1-2 months, you'd have a better change of improving.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by BestGMATEliza » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:06 am
Hi Roopa,

Like Rich said, you have made some improvements already so congrats!

Th best way to study for CR and RC is to practice, practice, practice. Unlike the other sections of the test, you don't have to learn anything new to answer those questions, you just have to learn how to answer the question. I would recommend reviewing the basic strategies then getting your hands on as many practice questions as you can and doing them and reviewing the answers.

For SC, you actually need to learn a lot of new rules to be able to answer the questions effectively. So it is really important to learn those rules, either by a book or course and make sure that you take detailed notes and periodically review them.

As you improve in theses sections, so will your timing, but it is important that you also take lots of practice CATs to help you practice your pacing. You need to find the best balance between speed and accuracy.

Hope this helps!!!
Eliza Chute
Best GMAT Prep Courses
GMAT course comparison and reviews
Your one stop for all your GMAT studying needs!