Russian student Need help and advise!!!

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Russian student Need help and advise!!!

by korea1980 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:32 am
Hi everyone,

My name is Denis, I am from Russia (Moscow) so i am not a native english speaker.
Next VERY BAD is my age, I am 34 this year, well 1-1,5, year for preparastion set of documentation (GMAT, IELST or TOEFL, and etc), Will I be interesting for B-Schools?
I have taken the CAT and scored 610 , that was last year after studying for 6 months, solving the entire OG, All MGMAT books, and of course CAT exams of MBA.COM.

I figured out that self study didnt pay much and i read a post about someone who scored really well and he took the empower gmat course, so i decided to sign up.
I've been studing magoosh, e-prep. Weel, Now I am thinking to take Veritas or MGmat on demand....
Does anyone have feedback on the course, do you think it is enough to prepare for the GMAT? does it really pay off and pake a serious jump in scores?
My Target 720+, B-Schools MIT,Chicago, Wharton, Kellog.

Highly appreciating everyone's support and feedback:)

P.S. please give your advise which B-Schools more friendly for older students as well.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:52 am
Hello, Denis.

First, to address your concern about your age, in talking to corporate recruiters, we frequently hear that work experience is on of the most important factors they consider when hiring recent MBA grads. School admissions officers tell us previous work experience can be an asset in the classroom, as it will give you more perspective, which is valuable for both you and your classmates.

As for your questions about GMAT prep, while there is no one study strategy that can guarantee you a specific score, I can suggest some resources for you. First, you should take a look at blog post written by our psychometric team. They looked at the study habits of GMAT test-takers and found some common traits among those who scored above a 700: https://www.mba.com/global/the-gmat-blog ... -gmat.aspx.

I also suggest you download GMATPrep,our free study software. It comes with two free practice exams, and uses the same scoring algorithm used by the exam: https://www.mba.com/store/product-info.a ... ID=80.0042.

I also recommend you re-post your question to one of the main forum threads. This is the forum thread to ask questions to GMAC, the makers of the GMAT exam. We cannot advise you on specific study strategy or provide an evaluation of third-party test prep materials. Other students and test prep people on the main GMAT Strategy Forum will be able to share with you their tips and advice.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

by korea1980 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:01 am
Dear Rebecca,

First of all thank you very much for your advise and comments.
I will re-post my question to the main forum.

Again, Thanks a lot

P.S. Yes you are 100% right that work experience not only be an asset in the classroom. I am not talking about relationship between our countries no way, I am talking that I can bring "completely New vision for solving problems, reaching targets and so on"

Thank you,
Denis

by neo656 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:14 am
Hi Denis,
I follow official GMAT and that's how I stumbled upon this post. :)
I used the package from e-gmat.com for verbal. Their package suits the requirements of a non-native English speaker and hence, students like me tend to find it useful. That might apply to you as well.
In line with what Rebecca suggested, if you post this issue on the main forum, you might get more useful advices.
Cheers and good luck for your prep... :)