Profile evaluation- Chinese/Male IT/Military Officer GMAT650

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

Please see my profile below. Any suggestions/recommendation are greatly appreciated!

Nationality: Chinese American (came to States when I was 13)

GPA: 3.6
Undergrad major: Business Admin with MIS concentration
School: University of Texas at Dallas
GMAT: 650

Work experience (11 years combined, see below; experience in energy generation, logistics, IT, and medical fields)

IT Consultant - (10/2007 - present): Works for one of the largest IT consultant firm (Capgemini). Multiple projects with various clients, covering mainly utilities and energy sector. Promoted twice and about to get my 3rd promotion. For the current on-going project I'm in charge of the technical side of the the mobile solution of my business client. Good client recognition/feedback.

U.S Army (05/2003 - present): 9 years enlisted and 2 years officer. Started off as a buck private and worked my way up. 2 years active duty, rest years are in reserve. 9 years enlisted worked in quartermaster and logistics and 2 years as officer works in medical & IT field. Combat veteran, 1 deployment to Iraq in 2005. Served in every leadership position from company level: team leader, squad leader, platoon sergeant, platoon leader. Before received my commission I was an Operations Sergeant at a Sustainment Brigade (3000+ Soldiers) headquarter. Currently I'm a first lieutenant holding the position of OIC (officer in charge) of the S6 staff section (communication) of a medical battalion. Spend an average of 8-10 hrs a week and sometimes on order to travel on military stuff outside my full time job.

Community service / volunteer works:

1. Director at Dallas-Fort Worth Chinese Alliance (DFWAA). member of the steering committee that are planning and leading on activities such as protest demonstration, cultural holiday events and community lecture. DFWCA is an volunteer based, non-profit nature rooted in the DFW area Chinese organizations, with goal to encourage and support Chinese through active participation (voting and other events) in the community region, Texas, and even national affairs and gradually move towards the long-term goal of safeguarding the rights and interests of Chinese equality.

2: North Texas Food Bank

Entry date: Fall 2015 Full time MBA

Post MBA career: My goal is to combine my experience from military and civilian side and to use the works in Management consulting field while continue serve in Army Reserve until retirement.

Target school: UT Austin. And what are my possibility with top 7 schools? I know my weakness are my GMAT score and the age. I'm having a dilemma of whether to spend few more months to retake the GMAT and apply for top 7 schools in round 2/3 or even next year OR just to apply for UT Austin with 650. The problem with delay application is my age constrain, I will be 32 if I choose to apply next year, will a 700+ GMAT score at age 32 give me a better chance to get into top 7 school or it won't make much a difference? And if apply now with 650 would be a better option what kind of school do you think I should be aiming for with my overall portfolio? Any suggestions/recommendation are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:01 pm
Thanks for sharing your profile. You seem to have a pretty good handle on the strengths and weaknesses in your candidacy. Age and GMAT are clearly your biggest hurdles when considering what decision to make. Few things to consider your GMAT is in fact a bit low but fits into the lower end of the GMAT range for McCombs. Also, schools love military candidates and tend to give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the GMAT so you have a bit more leeway when it comes to your score. With that being said I think you should be in decent shape at UT Austin.

Now to the the top 7 schools this will be a bit tougher, these schools also really love military candidates and a bump in GMAT would of course be a positive but not sure you want to wait a whole year given your age for this. Is there an opportunity to take another stab at the GMAT this year, it is only Sept so you should have time to take the exam again and still put out a few apps for round 2. I honestly don't think the GMAT will be the make or break for your candidacy, especially if you are not confident you can get a bump on your GMAT score. i would really focus on leveraging the leadership and teamwork examples from your time in the military to differentiate yourself. Give the ad comm a personal look at your life experiences and goals and why the MBA is the natural next step for your career and i think you can set yourself up well for a potential chance at the top schools.

I think you have a few different options here that you can take. Hope this helps!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!