Just signed up for January, any tips

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Just signed up for January, any tips

by NEED750 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:16 pm
Hi everyone,

I just signed up to take the GMAT on January 24, 2015.
As of now, I have just read some posts here about the exam and enrolled to a prep class at my school in October, a 3-day class not concentrating on any of the subjects, mainly on different answering tactics and the exam in general.

I also just did the first of my two GMATPrep CATs, and scored a 34 in Verbal and 35 in Quant, with an overall score of 580. I need to raise my score to the mid-700 range. I realize it's going to take a lot of work, but I'm prepared for it.

A little background:
I'm an international student in the US, so I'm not a native speaker. It's been a while since my last math class, but I used to ace the exams in high school, as well as in the mandatory classes in college.

I'd appreciate any tips on what to concentrate on and how to prepare for the exam. I've decided not to take an internship this semester to have more time to prepare for the test, and I'm also planning on using my winter break to prepare full-time.

Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:18 pm
You might consider signing up for Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide). Over 40,000 Beat The GMAT students have already done so.
Each day, you'll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:02 pm
Hi NEED750,

By scheduling your exam in late January, you've given yourself plenty of time to study, which is a smart move. Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) to hit their goals. With a mid-700s goal, you really have to become comfortable with the entire Test - that level of expertise is a combination of a number of skills and effort on your part.

It will be interesting to see what you gain from the 3-day class that you mentioned. It will likely provide you with some tactics and perspective, but you will almost certainly need to invest in some additional resources to hit your goal.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]