If N is a two-digit even integer, is N < 20?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by himu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:30 pm

(1) The product of the digits of N is less than the sum of the digits of N.

(2) The product of the digits of N is positive.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:37 pm
himu wrote:If N is a two-digit even integer, is N < 20?

(1) The product of the digits of N is less than the sum of the digits of N.

(2) The product of the digits of N is positive.
Target question: Is N < 20?

Statement 1: The product of the digits of N is less than the sum of the digits of N.
Under what circumstances is the product of the digits of N less than the sum of the digits?
This occurs when one of the digits is either a 0 or a 1.
So, for example, N could equal 10, 11, 12, ....,20, 21, ...30, 31, 40, 41, 50, 51etc.
BUT the question says that N is EVEN.
So, N can be 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, or 90
As you can see, N can be less than 20, or N can be greater than 20
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: The product of the digits of N is positive.
There are several possible values of N. Here are two:
Case a: N = 12 (product is less than sum). Here, N is less than 20
Case b: N = 21 (product is less than sum). Here, N is greater than 20
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
Statement 1 tells us that N = 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, or 90
Statement 2 lets us exclude values of N such that one of the digits is zero (since the product of the digits is zero and zero is not positive)
So, if we exclude values of N that have a zero digit, we're left with N = 12, 14, 16 or 18
This means that N is definitely less than 20
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer = C

Cheers,
Brent
Last edited by Brent@GMATPrepNow on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by himu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:56 pm
thanks Brent ! my answer is E as well:
ALSO PLEASE LET ME KNOW : is ZERO positive? I think ZERO is neither positive nor negative.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also consider the number 30

so Product < Sum
Hence E....Your thoughts on this please...thanks so much :)

But the official explanation from MANHATTAN suggests otherwise.
[spoiler]
N is a two-digit even integer. The tens digit can be anything except for 0. The units digit has to be 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8.

(1) NOT SUFFICIENT: Consider the values of N that can satisfy this statement. If the units digit is zero, then the product will always be zero; this will always be less than the sum of the digits.

For example, N could be 10, in which case the product of the digits is less than the sum of the digits. In this case, the answer to the question "is N < 20?" is yes. Alternatively, N could be 20, in which case the product of the digits is less than the sum of the digits. In this case, the answer to the question "is N < 20?" is no.

(2) NOT SUFFICIENT: If the product is positive, then the units digit can't be zero. In this case, N could be 12 and the answer to the question is yes. Alternatively, N could be 22 and the answer to the question is no.

(1) AND (2) SUFFICIENT: Statement 2 indicates that the units digit cannot be 0. All of the cases in statement 1, then, where the units digit is 0 must now be disregarded.

N could still be 12. The product, 2, is smaller than the sum, 3. In this case, the answer to the question is yes.

Could N be 22 or greater? If N is 22, then the product, 4, is equal to the sum, 4. You can't choose N = 22, then (remember that only numbers that make both statements true can be chosen). Are there any other possibilities greater than 22 that are valid?

If N = 24, then the product is 8 and the sum is 6; this doesn't fit statement 1. If N = 26, then the product is 12 and the sum is only 8; this also doesn't fit statement 1 (and is, in fact, even further away from what you want!). If N = 32, then the product is 6 and the sum is only 5; if N = 34, then the product is 12 and the sum is only 7. The higher you go, the larger the product gets compared to the sum. In other words, no larger number will have a product that is smaller than the sum.

Since N also cannot be 20 or 22, it must be less than 20. The two statements together are sufficient.

The correct answer is C.[/spoiler]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:00 pm
Arrgghhhh, I never considered the possibility that the product can equal zero. I thought the question's author was allowing for the possibility of their being a negative product.

I also TOTALLY MISSED the part that said N is an even integer
I've edited my post accordingly.

Cheers,
Brent

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:16 pm
himu wrote: ALSO PLEASE LET ME KNOW : is ZERO positive? I think ZERO is neither positive nor negative.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also consider the number 30
Sorry, the answer is not E. See my post above.

To answer your question, zero is neither positive nor negative.
So, 30 is not a viable value for N

Cheers,
Brent

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kc.19 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:55 pm
@Brent,

What about the possibilities that N can be 91, 81, 71..

For the above values Option A holds good. i.e product is less than the sum of the two digits.

In my opinion the answer should be E. I got this question while doing manhattan tests and marked E.
But as discussed in one of the above posts Manhattan says answer is C.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:17 pm
Hi kc.19,

Unfortunately, N has to be a two-digit EVEN integer, so none of the values that you listed are allowed (they're all ODD).

These sorts of details are pivotal to answering GMAT questions correctly, so it's always a good idea to take plenty of notes on the pad so that you don't forget whatever limitations the question puts on you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]