Mock Test score range from different tests

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
Hello,

I need some expert advise here.
I have recently given few tests from different sources and the score is varying a lot.I am kind of confused.Need some suggestions.I am planning to write GMAT in next 20 days.

Earlier scores
GMAT Prep 1- 630(June)
GMAT Prep 2- 680(Aug)

Recent scores(Sep)

Power Prep 1 - 710(Q,V)
Kaplan 1 - 600(AWA,Q,V)
GMAT Prep 3 - 700 (Q 49, V 36)(AWA,IR,Q,V)
Kaplan 2 - 590(AWA,Q,V) - Don't remember the sectional scores (Q- 10 Questions incorrect, V-18 Questions incorrect)

I know that GMAT Prep ones should be closest to the official ones.But my performance in Kaplan is too
disheartening. The RC's were so tough that I could not comprehend them even after reading twice.

I have still 2 Kaplan, 1 GMAT Prep -4 and some other unofficial tests remaining.
I am planning to give these tests every two days as I want to write GMAT before 15th Oct.
Please tell me if Kaplan test scores are also close sometimes and if I need to spend more time studying.
I have been studying since more than 5 months now.

Please suggest any strategy I should adopt from here on.
I am targeting 700+ on real GMAT.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:10 am
Hi prachi18oct,

Some analysis of your work on these CATs is probably in order. On the Kaplan CATs, can you define WHY you got questions wrong? How often was it because of a silly mistake? How often was it because the question was too hard? The little/silly mistakes are why you scored lower. Remember that a CAT gives you the score that you EARN, so scoring a 710 on a CAT does not guarantee that you'll score at that level on your next CAT...unless you earn it.

Since you are getting close to your Official Test Date, I would suggest that you adjust your study plan a bit:

1) Taking a CAT every 2 days is NOT a good idea; plan on about 1 CAT/week and spend the bulk of your time on review and additional practice, quizzes, etc.
2) Take the ENTIRE CAT every time; do not skip sections - that's an unrealistic way to take a CAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:35 am
I would not worry as much about the "score" on the Kaplan tests as what weakness it may point out.

Clearly the official tests give you the most realistic prediction of your score. However, as Rich indicated that does not mean that you should dismiss the other exam without seeing if it has exposed weaknesses.

You have done enough work now to know what feels like a real GMAT verbal or math question. When you miss questions you either need to really understand why you missed them and how to avoid that in the future, or else you better be able to tell that the question itself if flawed.

Again don't focus on the score of the unofficial test, but focus on what you can learn from it about YOUR performance.

I also agree that taking an exam every 2 days is two much. Better to take fewer tests, do more analysis and learning in between and really improve.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course