00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India, the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in at least 6,000 years.

(A) good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in
(B) good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for
(c) of good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for
(D) of good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured
(E) of good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, been enduring for

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by vk_vinayak » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

alex.gellatly wrote:Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India, the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in at least 6,000 years.

(A) good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in
(B) good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for
(c) of good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for
(D) of good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured
(E) of good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, been enduring for
There is a redundancy in the written sentence (and also in D): 'combination' and 'both'. We need to use either one of them, not both at the same time.

A. endure in at least 6000 years indicates future. But the fact is that tranditions have endured for 6000 years.

B. Correct.

C/D/E - Incorrectly use 'of growing' meaning 'combination of X and of Y'. (correct usage: Combination of X and Y, where X and Y should be logically parallel)

D and E: Incorrectly use the phrases such as have endured as at least 6,000 years and have been enduring for at least 6,000 years.
- VK

I will (Learn. Recognize. Apply)

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members
GMAT Score:770

by eagleeye » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:16 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

alex.gellatly wrote:Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India, the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in at least 6,000 years.

The 3:2 split here is:

"good growing conditions" vs "of good growing conditions".

Let's take a look at the latter.

"the combination of a reliable supply of water and of good growing conditions...". This one illogically distorts the meaning by making it seem as if there was a "reliable supply" of good growing conditions. This is, of course, wrong. Hence we eliminate C/D/E.

Between A and B,
"endure for" is the correct usage, while "endured in" is incorrect.

B is correct.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by simple_gmat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:03 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Let's go option by option.

Option A:
the combination of X and Y both encouraged blah blah.
Here "combination" and "both" are redundant.
See the last part of the sentence. it indicates that we need present perfect tense; therefore, "endured in" is incorrect. ==> Eliminate A.

Option B:
This option corrects all the problems present in option A. Keep it.

Option C:
"Traditions that endured for" has used past tense "endured" instead of "have endured for". ==> Eliminate C.

Option D:
"Traditions that have endured" is correct but it lacks "for". ==> Eliminate D.

Option E:
"Traditions that have been enduring for" have used present perfect continuous tense, but we need present perfect tense. ==> Eliminate E.

The option B, the best choice, stands as the correct answer.
many people quit when they are very close to success.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sw222 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:18 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Would love to have an expert chime in -

Is it correct to assume that the "farming traditions" are still ongoing - to justify usage of "have".

My questions is - can we justify the usage of "have" by this rule - "When we are talking now in the present - about something in the past - we use Present Perfect. "
e.g. They seem to have developed this habit before their extinction 600 years ago.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:31 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

sw222 wrote:Would love to have an expert chime in -

Is it correct to assume that the "farming traditions" are still ongoing - to justify usage of "have".

My questions is - can we justify the usage of "have" by this rule - "When we are talking now in the present - about something in the past - we use Present Perfect. "
e.g. They seem to have developed this habit before their extinction 600 years ago.
Good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for at least 6,000 years.

You are asking the wrong question.
The question you should ask is as follows:
Does HAVE ENDURED (present perfect) convey a sensical meaning?
One purpose of the present perfect is to express an action that started in the past and might continue in the present.
It is possible that the farming traditions that were encouraged in the past are still in effect right now, justifying the use of the present perfect.
Since a sensical meaning is conveyed, do not eliminate the answer choice.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Aman Ahuja » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:16 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi GGNY
can you please explain why E is incorrect.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:45 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

hi Guru
please correct me if i am wrong
i feel that the construction: the combination of X and of Y is wrong. do we really need to put that second "of" after "and"

Also please tell me as what is so outright wrong about present perfect continuous in E

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A and D: To yield a parallel structure, both encouraged must be followed by and + VERB.
Eliminate A and D.

C and E: the combination OF a reliable supply and OF good growing conditions
Here, the of in red seems to imply that there are two distinct combinations:
the combination OF a reliable supply AND the combination OF good growing conditions
Not the intended meaning.
The required idiom is the combination of X and Y.
Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is B.

E: have been enduring
have been + VERBing serves to express a CONTINUOUS ACTION.
Here, to endure means TO LAST.
To last is an action that -- on its own -- is continuous.
Since to endure on its own conveys a continuous action, the use of a continous tense seems redundant.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by 7l7t7 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:52 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:

A and D: To yield a parallel structure, both encouraged must be followed by and + VERB.
Eliminate A and D.

C and E: the combination OF a reliable supply and OF good growing conditions
Here, the of in red seems to imply that there are two distinct combinations:
the combination OF a reliable supply AND the combination OF good growing conditions
Not the intended meaning.
The required idiom is the combination of X and Y.
Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is B.

E: have been enduring
have been + VERBing serves to express a CONTINUOUS ACTION.
Here, to endure means TO LAST.
To last is an action that -- on its own -- is continuous.
Since to endure on its own conveys a continuous action, the use of a continous tense seems redundant.
Hi Mitch, do we have an agreement issue in C? Should "the combination OF X and OF Y" be plural or singular? I'm asking as I came across a problem in which "transpiration FROM soil and FROM plants" is considered singular.

Thank in advanced for your help.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:18 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

7l7t7 wrote:
Along the major rivers that traverse the deserts of northeast Africa, the Middle East, and northwest India, the combination of a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in at least 6,000 years.

Hi Mitch, do we have an agreement issue in C? Should "the combination OF X and OF Y" be plural or singular? I'm asking as I came across a problem in which "transpiration FROM soil and FROM plants" is considered singular.

Thank in advanced for your help.
Correct!
In C, have encouraged (plural) does not agree with the combination (singular).

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by 7l7t7 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:12 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Thanks very much, Mitch.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:37 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

The word COMBINATION implies that the two conditions combine to have an effect. So, the word BOTH is redundant. ELIMINATE A

Looks good.
Also, the present perfect tense have endured suggests that the "enduring" may continue into the future.

(C) of good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for
The idiom is "a combination OF X AND Y", not "a combination OF X AND OF Y"
ELIMINATE

ELIMINATE

ELIMINATE

Answer: B

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Gitika_Lakhotia » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:23 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

It would help if one can identify that this sentence required past perfect tense - "that have endured". Based on this, eliminate A, C and E
In (D), "both" is redundant.
So, answer is (B)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:8 members

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:49 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello Everyone!

This is a great example of a GMAT question that focuses on idiomatic structure and parallelism! Let's take a closer look at the original question and highlight the major differences between options in orange:

(C) of good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for

After a quick glance over the options, there are 3 main things we can focus on:

1. good / of good (parallelism/idioms)
2. both encouraged / encouraged / have encouraged (verb tense/idioms)
3. endure in / endured for / endured / enduring for (idioms)

Since #1 on our list will eliminate 2-3 options right away, let's start there. When we look at the sentence as a whole, we see that we're talking about a combination of 2 items here: a reliable supply of water and good growing conditions. The proper idiomatic structure for this would be the following:

a combination of X and Y

Let's see which options do this correctly, and rule out the ones that don't:

(A) good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endure in --> a combination of X and Y both = WRONG
(B) good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured for --> a combination of X and Y = GOOD
(C) of good growing conditions have encouraged farming traditions that, in places, endured for --> a combination of X and of Y = WRONG
(D) of good growing conditions both encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, endured --> a combination of X and of Y both = WRONG
(E) of good growing conditions encouraged farming traditions that have, in places, been enduring for --> a combination of X and of Y = WRONG

There you go! Option B is the correct choice because it's the only one that uses the proper idiomatic format for "a combination of X and Y!"

Wonder what would've happened if we focused on another part of the list instead? Let's see what would happen if we focused on #3 on our list: endure in / endured for / endured / enduring for:

This is INCORRECT. It's not idiomatically correct to say something "endures in" a certain number of years. We say that things "endure for" a certain number of years!

This is still CORRECT because it's proper to say something "endured for" a number of years. Also, by using past perfect tense (have endured), it's clear that these farming traditions started 6,000 years ago, and they're still being used today.

This is INCORRECT because it uses plain past tense, which means the farming traditions started in the past and ended in the past. The intended meaning of the original sentence was to say that these traditions started in the past and are still going on today.

This is INCORRECT because it doesn't make sense to say that farming traditions "endured 6,000 years." It's not idiomatically correct - we say that things "endured for" an amount of time.

While this is OKAY, based on the idiomatic "enduring for" and the use of present perfect continuous tense, we would eventually have to rule it out as INCORRECT because it doesn't use the idiomatic "combination of X and Y" structure correctly.

In the end, option B is still the correct choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.