Low GPA from a good school, high GMAT - where to apply?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I graduated in 2013 from Wharton's Undergraduate program with concentrations in Finance and Marketing. I am planning to apply to an MBA program next summer, to start in the Fall of 2016 (i.e. 2 years of work experience when I apply, 3 years when I start in Fall 2016). My GPA at Penn was a 3.28 and I scored a 730 on the GMAT. I work in Corporate Banking (a development program where I have experience in both underwriting and sales) at a national bank. I know my GMAT score puts me in the range to apply to the top MBA programs, but my GPA is below average at those schools. Does the fact that I went to Wharton Undergrad help me in terms of my low GPA? Essentially, I am really unsure of where I am qualified to apply and don't want to overshoot or undershoot. What schools would you recommend I apply to?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:10 am
Hi there,

Congrats on the 730! You are right in that your GPA is lower than average for Wharton and other top schools. The GMAT is more recent though and that's a strong score. Certainly the undergrad institution is still considered (though others apply from Wharton and similar with strong GPAs too!), but overall I'd support your moving forward with applying to some top schools and seeing what happens; for best chances you could add a couple of schools outside the top 8-10 too as other options. Good luck! Let us know how else we can help.
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders