depressed :(

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

depressed :(

by adi90 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:22 am
I have preparing for my GMAT for the past 3 years but somehow could not be regular on my studies due to a tough field job which require weeks on tours and travel mostly every night. Even then I used to study whenever i got time. My resources include OG13 OG12, vertitas books, quant and verbal review official guide, manhattan book sets and aristole guide of CR,RC,SC. I used to lay my hand on whatever resources I could find and practised them efficiently. For the past 4 months I became regular in my studies and started working on my weakness using error logs.

Booked my test date on 15th september and scored a horrible 520 (43 Q, 19 V) IR-3. My biggest mistake was that I gave my mock test a week before my actual test date. Scored the following

Manhattan CAT1-530
GMAT PREP1-560
GMAT PREP2-560

After reset the exam of GMAT PREP

GMAT PREP1-710
GMAT PREP2-700

I was very confident of getting a good score but slumped badly on test day. Just could not get hold of IR and started guessing frantically.

My first questions on quant took me 6 mins that ended up incorrect.
Still had no idea how come I was left with 11 mins at the 37 question.

During verbal I just not get hold of sc questions and marking them on the basis of instinct and guessing on most RC questions. On some CR questions I was able to come up with the right answer but could not find them in options. If all this was not enough I electricity went while I was in the mid of verbal and then pulled my thigh nerve resulting in tremendous pressure and I ended up guessing on 15 questions.

Do not know how to cope with time and pressure. I know that my concepts are clear but yet time takes a toll on me.

Kindly help to improve verbal.

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:20 am
Resetting a test offers too many repeat question so I wouldn't like to consider your Re-take GMAT PREP as the score are not appropriate reflection of your true performance in the test.

If we look at your first attempt to the tests then your score looks in the range where you have got the score so NO SURPRISE you were prepared to get such a score like you did.(Forgive me for being Rude) In case you were getting better scores at CATs then I would have suggested you to take test after a month but certainly this is not the suggestion that i want to give you

GMAT is not about miracles happening on the test day so you should not take GMAT until you start getting the score that you are targeting in the practice CATs.

This is not the time for getting Depressed which is a normal state of mind when you have GMAT on your mind for 3 years.

Just get some air, do some introspection, Identify your mistakes and problem areas and if you don;t get good response or just a normal response like you know all concepts then don;t trust your feelings because it's a competitive test and your feeling about your knowing concepts may not work in your favor. You must consult GMAT experts and understand whether your concepts are really at par with other test takers who get the score that you are targeting. This is the first step you can start afresh.

In case this rude but honest post helps you tehn you can let me know your query further and I will be happy to help you.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by David@GMATPrepNow » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:56 am
Hi adi90,

I like your attitude - you've had some GMAT setbacks, but you're willing to keep working at it in order to succeed. That's exactly the right approach. My advice right now is to take a look at the way you best learn. You mention practice tests (good, everybody should do that!), and also book-based resources that you have used. Some people have a lot of success with books, but other people do not. Other people achieve success with video learning resources, or with personal tutors.

Ask your self how you best learn, and then find the resource that works with the way you learn. Fortunately, there are many "try-before-you-buy" resources, and I recommend that you look closely at these so that you are not out of pocket as you search for the resource that matches your preferred learning style. For example, our online video lessons and practice questions have many free videos for you to watch, and see if they work for you: https://gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-read ... prehension has ten free videos on reading comprehension.

Good luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:52 am
Hi Adi90,

While you're not feeling good right now, you should remember that Business Schools don't care if you take the GMAT more than once, so doing so is not a big deal. You've also learned some things about what "works" and what doesn't in terms of how you should be studying.

Based on what you've described, I can see some problems with how you approached your studies. Thankfully, they can all be fixed/improved.

1) It does not sound like you were able to study in a truly consistent manner. Most Test Takers need 3 months of consistent study (10-15 hours per week or more) to hit their "peak" scores. While studying every day is NOT necessary, studying in small "chunks" throughout the week tends to be a more effective way to learn than trying to "cram" in a lot on the weekends.

2) Studying primarily with books does not properly simulate the work/"mechanics" that are required on the actual GMAT. Certain books are quite valuable (the OG13, for example), but they should be used as a complement to a Computer-based set of resources. The physical "mechanics" of Test Day require LOTS of practice on a computer (more than just taking CATs). Books also tend to be limited in terms of the volume of material they can teach you (and the types of explanations that are offered in answers/explanations section of the book).

3) Practice CATs should be taken on a regular basis (1 CAT every 1-2 weeks). The ENTIRE CAT should be taken (including Essay and IR) under as-close-to-Test-Like conditions as possible). Retaking a CAT that you've already used almost always leads to artificially "inflated" scores, since you will likely come across questions that you've already seen/answered. A full question-by-question review of the CAT is also a good idea (even the questions that you got correct).

Everything on the GMAT is standardized and predictable, so you CAN learn to CRUSH the GMAT. If you find yourself "guessing" on lots of Verbal questions, then you have not spent enough time learning the content, patterns and tactics for that section of the Test. Beyond the Verbal section, you have an opportunity to pick up points in the Quant section as well.

Now as to what comes next:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When do you want to apply to school?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by adi90 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:10 pm
Hi GMATinsight

well thanks for being rude (not joking ... :D ) because if I had this received this advice a lot before I would have never ended with such a bad score.

firstly i was targeting round 1 but unfortunately will now apply in round2.

target score is 730 colleges I am targeting are stanford,kelly,fisher,scheller and kenan flager.

Now back to point how would you recommend to get back to work.

I have 5 manhattan cat left,7 veritas prep test left. I will give my gmat once I and able to cross 700+ that is for sure.

Regarding specific preparation what you would recommend as I suffer in SC (know the rules but when see a questions just try to get the right answer forgetting the rules)

CR(weakness lies in when I am to able to understand the argument and think of some answer beforehand fail to find the same in the options, sometimes not able to understand the argument altogether)

RC( weakness in inference questions . can read a passage quickly within timeframe and setup a passage by passage small notes using mostly abbreviations)

Quant ( gets fatigued by seeing more than 2 DS questions in a row)
Last edited by adi90 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by adi90 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:14 pm
Hi David@GMATPrepNow

Thanks for such appreciation. Surely I will see the best way I can learn.

by adi90 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:18 pm
Hi [email protected]

firstly i was targeting round 1 but unfortunately will now apply in round2.

target score is 730 colleges I am targeting are stanford,kelly,fisher,scheller and kenan flager.