Can/Should I beat the GMAT?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Can/Should I beat the GMAT?

by Dhaval Raut » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:54 am
Hey All,

I think I need serious help and expert opinion. I have given GMAT twice now but have failed (as per my expectations each time.

Last year I gave GMAT on 29/08/2013 and got score of 610 (49 Q and 27 V)
This year again i attempted GMAT and got score of 660 ( Q49 and V 32)

I am 28 year old typical Indian engineering graduate from National Institute of technology with solid 6 Years of work experience in Indian Automobile manufacturing company with sale and marketing background. I am also been associated with acclaimed NGO as business development officer for about 2 years now.

I had been getting 700 to 720 scores while preping for GMAT consistently but here I am blank, no thoughts what so ever.

Pls shower me with free flowing advice as to what i should do? Can I rather Should I attempt to beat the GMAT??

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:38 am
Hi Dhaval Raut,

A 660 is a strong score (it's right around the 80th percentile), so it might be enough to make you a strong applicant. What schools are you planning to apply to?

The score-drop that's occurred could be due to a variety of reasons. Here are some things to think about:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you ever taken any of your CATs more than once?
3) Was there anything about Test Day that did not match what you did during practice?

The bulk of your missing points are in the Verbal section, so if you plan to retest, then you need to put some extra effort into those question types and tactics. Thankfully, the Verbal section of the GMAT is as predictable and standardized as the Quant section, so you can train to crush it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:07 am
Honestly, I would say that you want to consider taking the exam again as you come from a competitive group. This does depend on the schools you are applying to?

Do you have any idea where you are targeting?
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Jacob003 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:49 am
Now I have much idea about this exam. Thanks a lot for helping me.