Mock Scores dipping with the passage of time

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

My mocks scores have been dipping with the passage of time no matter how much I study or analyse. I am losing hope because of this. What could I do?I started off with a MGMAT 600 and now its dipped to 540. I also gave a GMAT prep test in which i scored 560. What should I be doing?Should I give up?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:24 am
Hi Aarti.Sal,

I'd like to know a bit more about the work that you've done so far and your goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) What schools are you planning to apply to? And when?
4) What materials have you been using to study?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Aarti.Sal » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:59 pm
Hi Rich,

Thanks for replying. The answers are as follows:

1. My goal score is 710+. But I am giving it in Oct and it would be difficult to scale from 560 to 700. So, for the October attempt my goal score is 650+.
2. I was planning to take it in September but the way things went I have ended up rescheduling it thrice. It is now on October 4.
3. I want to apply to UT Austin, Johnson, Tepper and Kelley. I won't be able to meet the round 1 deadline as my gmat has gone awry. Planning to apply to round 2.
4. I have been studying from everything and anything I could lay my hands on. Below is the detailed report of the same:
Quants: Solved OG 13 thrice. Did all MGMAT books twice. Even solved Kaplan Premier and Kaplan Advanced. Also solved from OG Quantitative Review once.
SC: Started off with Aristotle SC Grail, did MGMAT SC more than 3 times and some grammar notes. Solved OG 13 more than thrice and OG Verbal Review twice.
CR: Went through PowerPrep CR Bible twice and solved OG 13 more than thrice and OG Verbal Review twice.
RC: Did OG 13 once and OG Review half. RC 99: 55 passages.
Diagnostic test: Got above average in all except SC where i got average.
Gave a MGMAT test without prep and got 600 and Kaplan: 580
After studying all the mentioned stuff above scored a 560 in my GMAT prep.
Really appreciate your help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:56 pm
HI Aarti.Sal,

If you're planning for Round 2 submissions, then why are you planning to stick to an October 4th Test Date? You can push your Test back, use the additional time to study and increase your chances of scoring 700+.

As to your approach so far, it's been "book heavy", which is likely why you haven't hit a high level yet. Most Test Takers get "stuck" when they study with just books. A 700+ score is the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to score at that level. You should consider investing in a GMAT Course (either Instuctor-led or Guided Self-Study).

There are plenty of Courses to choose from and most GMAT Companies offer some type of free access (practice problems, Trial Accounts, etc.), so that you can "test out" a particular product before you buy it. Take full advantage of the various options than pick the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

The GMAT is a predictable, standardized exam, so you CAN train to CRUSH it. Part of the process is what you're willing to do to succeed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Aarti.Sal » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:25 am
Could you help me plan a study schedule?I attended a instructor based course but I somehow mess up when I give the test as a whole I feel. I am ready to do anything that it takes to succeed. I have been really good at studies all my life and this score has totally demotivated me. Please help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:54 pm
Aarti.Sal wrote:Hello,

My mocks scores have been dipping with the passage of time no matter how much I study or analyse. I am losing hope because of this. What could I do?I started off with a MGMAT 600 and now its dipped to 540. I also gave a GMAT prep test in which i scored 560. What should I be doing?Should I give up?
Falling scores usually indicate one of two things:

1) Anxiety - do you struggle with test anxiety? If so, I recommend that you seek out resources (there are many on this site) to help you cope with that.

2) Stubbornness - many students get more stubborn the more they learn. They think "I've studied this, so I have to get this question right!" and run out of time. Remind yourself that everyone gets questions wrong, and you have to sacrifice a few hard ones to be able to spend time on the doable ones.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by Aarti.Sal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:54 pm
I think it is more of anxiety which I am not able to control on the test. I have studied a lot but for some reason when I see the paper as a whole I tend to get lost. I have been good at studies all my life. I don't know how to deal with scores that are dipping!