doubt 4

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt 4

by aditya8062 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:25 am
Researchers have discovered a new species of sparrow that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from all other sparrows.

A) that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows in cypress trees and whose coloring is completely different from

B) that lives only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and has coloring completely different from that of

C) living only in cypress groves, is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from

D) that lives only in cypress groves, almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from that of

E) living only in cypress groves, depending almost wholly on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and having coloring completely different than

my doubt: though i got this question correct, I still have one query

if D (modified D) were as follows: that lives only in cypress groves, that is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from that of

will the bold portions be still parallel?
i have read in Manhattan SC book that "whose clauses" can be parallel to only "whose clauses" and that "that clauses" can be parallel to only "that clauses" so i am really curious as whether my modified D would be parallel?

Best

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:25 pm
No, it would not be parallel to say:
that lives only in cypress groves, that is almost wholly dependent on the berries of a certain type of vine that grows on cypress trees, and whose coloring is completely different from that of

The first two elements would be parallel, but the third would not. It would be preferable here to say "... and that has coloring completely different from that of..."
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education