B-Schools In Europe

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

B-Schools In Europe

by santoshmbainfrance » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:37 am
Good Day!.

I need some advice on selection of B-schools in Europe to target.
I would try my best, to explain my profile in the best shortest way, possible.

Qualification : Electrical and Electronics Engineering ( 4 years Course after 10+2 school )
Percentage : 64% ( doesn't sound good )
Work Experience : 5+ years
Work Profile : Sales - Engineer ( Techno- Commercial Job )
50% sales and marketing & 50% Technical.
80 % includes travel.

I am have worked in sales and marketing of Industrial Automation technology for 5+ years of which 4 years i have worked in India and 1+ year in Saudi Arabia.

Even though, I am working on the same profile and same technology, since the beginning of my career, I have switched 4 companies( will this be a negative remark in my MBA application?).

But, my experience also has an added advantage, as i have worked in all the business models of a Manufacturing company.

for eg:
I have worked for Siemens - direct manufacturer , but he sells, to the smaller clients, across the market through dealers and system integrators ( the one who assembles the various products offered by one company and provides as a complete solution to the client )

The above job requires a good amount of,and the proper combination of, technical understanding, presentation skills, time management ,negotiation skills, patience and the ability to get yourself in the clients shoes.. :)

And the always on the run factor with handling pressure and still meeting deadlines!!

Also apart from the sales activities it also demands us to organise , conferences, product promotion activities and technical training activities.

And in addition to all the above handling office internal reviews , sales plans , sales forecast and all that.

I would like to say i had and in am having a fantastic job experience.But on account of all these I always felt that I could do much better in sales and marketing but something is lagging.Since i started with this profile as a fresh graduate out of Engineering school, there wasn't a theory education imparted on business subjects. Now when I look up to my senior colleagues and the managements I feel its time to add some more knowledge on business lines...to move up the ladder to a business development team ,as well as to be a dynamic sales personality..

And this is how I look forward for Business Schools!!!
The below are factors to be put together and get an optimised selection for schools, i should target

1. Tution fees- Minimal.
I am self dependent(as many :D ) , with 3 dependents(as not many others :lol:)

2. Diverse nationality class room.

3. Average work experience at least as mine ( 5+ years , by the time I enter it will be 6+ )

4. Looking for next Sep 2015 intake.

5. Courses preferred - General MBA/ Sales & Marketing / Strategy and Business
(Open to other suggestion too!!! )

6. Programs with paid internship.
(would be like some extra cheese on the subway burger at no cost :D)

7. Post MBA -decent employment oppurtunities.

8. Preferred location - France, Spain and Italy. ( Flexible with other countries too)

As an individual i love travelling and long distances rides on my 550 cc Royal Enfield.

I like watching Mixed Martial Arts sport and I am a fan of Ramon Dekkers and Cain Velasquez - more than a fight ,its about courage ,dedication and sportmanship!!

Also by luck, self initiation and interest, i have got a chance to lead and head many groups since school days, right from the small religious gatherings for celebrations of a festival in the society ( India has many gods and many festivals!!! :D ),to head a batch of scouts team, to resolving issues by words, between clash groups in college continuing to college sports captain, to college cultural secretary....to heading a blood donation camp....to a Sales team in technology industry!! ....I am always on my foot except the 6 hours on my bed....

Will be taking GMAT in December or January.

Can you please suggest me some schools that I would fit in and which is worth giving a hard try.

Please also let me know the target GMAT scores we require for that....i m on my way....

thank you very much!!!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by MBA Decoder » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:08 am
Hi santoshmbainfrance,

I like everything about your profile except for the job changes. Far too many? You were changing your job almost every year.anyhow, that's something you've got to live with, so show this in the best possible way- that every move for towards your professional development.

I also like your sense of humor - do use this in the applications - the admissions teams sure need that break from monotonous essays.

You have not mentioned your career goals, so it will be difficult to give you a specific answer. But you seem to be competitive at any of the top b-schools - INSEAD, HEC Paris, IMD (Switzerland), IE in Spain.

Try to get a good GMAT score- for the top b-schools 700+ should keep you in good stead, although its not as crazy as is with US b-schools where GMAT is concerned for Indian applicants.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:56 am
Hello Santosh

Overall, you have a good profile. Your international experience and non-IT background will make your profile than many Indian Male IT profiles.

With five years of work experience, now would be a good time to pursue MBA. The fact that you have changed several companies in past 5 years will have a negative effect on your profile. But, this depends on the way you write about it in your resume, essays, etc. As you have mentioned, you have worked in all the business models of a manufacturing company and this has given you a holistic experience of the industry. Also, what was your contribution to these companies and how was your performance in comparison to others? When you went from one job to the next, did you move to a higher position? You need to address these issues. If you showcase your work experience in a positive way, it will not be a deterrent.

The fact that you have substantial leadership experience both in extracurricular activities and work experience will be an added advantage to your profile which is good considering your low GPA. A year of work outside India is also a plus. But if you want to attend some of the top business schools in Europe, you will need a good GMAT score to make up for your GPA. There will be a large pool of applicants with a profile similar to yours and a high GMAT score will help your profile stand out.

Some of the good schools in Europe that might want to target are INSEAD, IE, IESE, HEC Paris, and SDA Bocconi. The fees range for these schools is $ 55,000 to $ 65,000. The average work experience for these schools is around 5 to 6 years and the average GMAT ranges from 660 to 710. Since your GPA is low, I would advise you to try to score 720 at least.

Most of these schools have a 1 year MBA so there will be no internship opportunities. IESE and ESADE have an 18 month MBA program. There will be summer internship opportunities here but the overall tuition fee of these schools is higher ($ 75,000-90,000). You might want to look at the following link for top business schools in Europe.
https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/top-bu ... -in-europe

All the best

www.interviewbay.com

Application Reviews and Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-school.