Cholesterol

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Cholesterol

by j_shreyans » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:22 am
Guys ,

Can you pls help with the below problem.

Scientists have determined that an effective way to lower cholesterol is to eat three servings of whole grains every day. Studies have shown that the cholesterol levels of people who did so were significantly lower after six months than were those of people who did not, even though the cholesterol levels of the two groups had been the same before the studies began. Clearly, eating whole grains can have an appreciable effect on cholesterol levels.

The answer to which of the following questions, if true, would be most useful in evaluating the claim about whole grains above?

A)Is it realistic to expect people to eat three servings of whole grains per day?
B)Were the two groups of people in the study involved in the same exercise program?
C)Can the same drop in cholesterol be achieved through medication?
D)Did the study continue to track the subjects beyond six months?
E)Are most consumers aware of the different between whole grains and processed grains?

OAB

If the above OA is possible then why not C is possible please explain and also please give the others option reasons

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:02 am
The passage is about the effectiveness of whole grains in lowering cholesterol. If there were other influences, such as exercise, that affected the change, it would be important to know.

As for C, we are not concerned with the notion of if other things can lower cholesterol, but rather if something else specific influenced the results of the experiment.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by Kamal2014 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:39 pm
j_shreyans wrote:Guys ,

Can you pls help with the below problem.

Scientists have determined that an effective way to lower cholesterol is to eat three servings of whole grains every day. Studies have shown that the cholesterol levels of people who did so were significantly lower after six months than were those of people who did not, even though the cholesterol levels of the two groups had been the same before the studies began. Clearly, eating whole grains can have an appreciable effect on cholesterol levels.

The answer to which of the following questions, if true, would be most useful in evaluating the claim about whole grains above?

A)Is it realistic to expect people to eat three servings of whole grains per day?
B)Were the two groups of people in the study involved in the same exercise program?
C)Can the same drop in cholesterol be achieved through medication?
D)Did the study continue to track the subjects beyond six months?
E)Are most consumers aware of the different between whole grains and processed grains?

OAB

If the above OA is possible then why not C is possible please explain and also please give the others option reasons
As you have already mentioned the correct OA is C.
Reason: The cholesterol reduction is believed to be a consequence of consuming grains. Consider the answer choices:
A)Is it realistic to expect people to eat three servings of whole grains per day? If I say Yes then how does it effect the argument differently than if I say NO?
B)Were the two groups of people in the study involved in the same exercise program?Now if I say yes that means that another method of reduction of cholesterol, i.e, exercising was the same ensuring that there was no additional effort to reduce cholesterol. But if I say NO there is huge the argument becomes vulnerable. . Hence B is the answer.
The choices C, D and E are similar to choice A. They too have no effect on the argument.

Followed by:1 members

by BTGmoderatorAT » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:23 am
I also choose letter "B"

Eating whole grains may help in lowering cholesterol level but other factors such as fitness programs has also big role. We know that fact that whole grains are high in fibers but we cannot measure it's effectiveness in the human body by just consuming it and not anything else.