doubt

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt

by aditya8062 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:46 am
A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance language, each with a consistent order of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb.

A. each with a consistent order of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb
B. each with consistent orders of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb
C. each having a consistent order of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb
D. all having a consistent order of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb
E. all with consistent orders of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb

my doubt : i feel that A cannot be the answer here as "each" is wrong used here . "each" cannot refer to singular "every romance language"

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:58 am
aditya8062 wrote: my doubt : i feel that A cannot be the answer here as "each" is wrong used here . "each" cannot refer to singular "every romance language"
A: A similar type of construction can be found in every Romance language, each with a consistent order of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb.
COMMA + each must refer to a preceding PLURAL noun.
Here, each lacks a plural referent.
Eliminate A.

Ignore this SC.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by aflaam » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:54 am
hello Hitch,
Is following sentence correct?

A similar type of construction can be found in all Romance languages, each with a consistent order of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb

Moreover, how is it different from the following sentence?
How to choose between order and orders?

A similar type of construction can be found in all Romance languages, each with a consistent orders of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:45 am
aflaam wrote:hello Hitch,
Is following sentence correct?

A similar type of construction can be found in all Romance languages, each with a consistent order of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb
Here, the modifier in red does not convey a crystal clear meaning.

Interpretation 1:
In any given Romance language, the order of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun and verb never changes.
Moreover, the order is the same in all Romance languages.
Interpretation 2:
In any given Romance language, the order of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun and verb never changes.
But the order is the NOT necessarily same in all Romance languages.

Since the intended meaning is not crystal clear, the sentence is not viable.
For an official SC with COMMA + EACH + with, check here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/perhaps-nowh ... 84054.html
Moreover, how is it different from the following sentence?
How to choose between order and orders?

A similar type of construction can be found in all Romance languages, each with consistent orders of impersonal pronoun, indefinite pronoun, and verb
Here, the usage of orders (plural) seems to imply that each language employs MORE THAN ONE ORDER.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that the order in each language NEVER CHANGES.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3