Tutoring structure

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Tutoring structure

by jsajjan91 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:56 pm
Hello all,

Quick question for those of you who have done private 1-on-1 tutoring.

I have signed up for tutoring with one of the major companies and the approach to my tutoring (doing 30 hours), has been to watch the lesson videos online, and then do the homework and then come to tutor with problems I had trouble with.

My question is: how was your tutoring structured? Did the tutors you had go about things in a different approach? Was the tutor working for one of the major companies (Kaplan, Princeton, Veritas, etc)? I'm just not sure how the approach I am using is the best way to go about things. Feels a bit cookie cutter.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:12 pm
Hi jsajjan91,

You'll likely find it most useful to bring a specific set of questions with you when you do your tutoring. Since it sounds like you're just starting out, you and your tutor will have to figure out an appropriate "routine", but that shouldn't take too long. As you progress, you'll want to review your practice CATs with your tutor, so that he/she can see how you perform under test-like conditions and offer suggestions.

Tutoring is NOT a substitute for studying though, nor is it a substitute for attending class (or watching videos). You will still have to do a considerable amount of work to accomplish your goals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by jsajjan91 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:30 am
Rich - thanks! Appreciate the response!

I'm also signed up for a class with the same company, it was included if you got a certain amount of tutoring hours. Would it be better to do the tutoring after I've completed the class?

Thanks,
Jas

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:43 am
I do quite a bit of tutoring, and in general the best way to use a tutor is to have discussions around material that you have already worked through. The idea is to get a deeper understanding of the specific problem and how it pertains to other GMAT questions.

As Rich said, classes and tutoring are no substitute for rolling up your sleeves and actually doing the work - I have had many students struggle when they just want to sit and do all the problems in tutoring sessions.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:53 am
Hi jsajjan91,

Yes, you should absolutely attend some classes and practice a bit before you start your tutoring sessions. It's important for you to do some work and "define" your skills a bit. The tutor might want to see how you approach questions, your organization/work, at what point you make a mistake (on the questions you get wrong), etc. so bring everything that you work on to your tutoring sessions.

It's important to realize that preparing for the GMAT is a process - it takes time - and you're essentially training in specific tactics to attack this test. Some areas will be easier for you than others, but they all require that you do work. The tutor is there to help you hone your skills, but you are ultimately the one who has to earn the points on Test Day.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by jsajjan91 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:16 am
Thanks for the responses!

I have been watching the video lessons, doing the homework in the company's books, and also assigned problems out of OG and then meeting with the tutor to go over problems I missed.

I will continue to watch the lessons and do the problems as my class starts on Sept. 9th. After the class and doing practice tests and the work through-out, I will probably have a better understanding of where I stand and the tutoring will probably be more beneficial.

Thanks again!