Ask MBA Ivy - FORMER HARVARD INTERVIEWER AND HARVARD GRAD

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
I'm a former Harvard interviewer and a Harvard grad, and currently run the MBA admissions firm, "MBA Ivy League" out of NYC. I will be posting excerpts from my MBA admission tips blog, so follow along!

HOW TO CREATE A GREAT MBA APPLICATION!

TIP 1: Focus on your professional experience

Though obvious to some, it is not obvious to others, which is why I'll state it as my Number 1 point: MBA programs want to hear about your professional experience.

So, whereas on your undergraduate college applications, it was important to show how well-rounded you were, and how you participated in all kinds of activities and things, when applying to an MBA program admissions committees are looking for PROFESSIONAL FOCUS in almost every question.

They want to hear about your work, your professional life, your level of responsibility, the number of people you manage, the level of finances you or your department handles, your goals, your future, and your long-term career interests... all how they relate to you professionally.

So, keep the fact that you "also play saxophone" out of it, unless you are planning on starting an entrepreneurial saxophone-related business. If that's the case, they love that, and you should mention it.

Jillian, President & Founder
MBA Ivy League
(646) 276-7042 (New York)

www.MBAIvyLeague.com

by sukkhi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 am
its damn tough job to get in b school.
i thought schools are to learn and develop yourself to finally do things what they actually demand of applicants.

what do a person who didnt do great in undergrad and hence couldnt land a job in his field of interest or whatever.
Now he cant even do an mba. I thought mba was to sort out problems and finally build ur path knowing where it'll lead u.

by MBA Ivy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:33 am
Well...it depends what level of school you want to go to. The most competitive schools, the "Top Ten" and Ivy Leagues are for development, but development at the most competitive level. The schools want people who already do have all their ducks in order, have the strong test scores, have the strong undergraduate GPA from a well-known school, have the Fortune 500 internships and demonstrate they are the future driven achievers and leaders.

However, the mid-tier schools are more open to students who perhaps don't have the above, but still demonstrate drive and a solid post-MBA vision and plan. All of the schools are also more interested in test scores and your current professional experience and ventures than an undergraduate GPA that perhaps doesn't put forth your best image.

MBA Ivy League
(646) 276-7042 (NYC)

www.MBAIvyLeague.com

by sukkhi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:43 am
Brief about me:

Undergrad School-IIT Delhi(2013 batch)
UG - gpa:6.3/10 major:Textile Technology
Class X: 82.6%
Class XII: 80.8%

work ex: 12 months
start-up with colleagues
Business Development
: 2 months NGO
worked on rural development project to promote usage of eco-friendly burners

Extra-Currics: Played inter-hostel Volleybal and Pool/snooker
Participated in stageplay and streetplay

GMAT: 710 (q 50 v 34 IR 6 AWA-awaited/seriously f**k*d up)

Goal: career change, pursue interest Finance and possibly Brand management minor

anyways(althogh not much experienced but i have decided to go for mba fall-2015 for a while now) i'm applying in R1

what schools can i target at this point in US?

would better gmat score matter (i hv one weak section i can try - RCs which i totally had to guess on exam except last short passage)

by MBA Ivy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:09 am
Hi Sukkhi
Your GMAT score is solid, though just factually, anything over 720 will put you in an even better ballpark. The problem I see though, is that you only have 12 months work experience - -most U.S. MBA programs like to see 3-4 years experience, so unfortunately you are not even close. That said, perhaps apply to 1-2 mid-tier schools, if you can afford to lose the application fees, and if you don't get in you will at least understand the process and can possibly get feedback on your applications from the ad com at those schools, after the deadline.

In my opinion though -- you don't have enough professional experience to get in right now.

MBA Ivy League

www.MBAIvyLeague.com

by sukkhi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:15 am
i hv heard some schools do accept even fresh grads, those are the schools i wanna know about.
i'm not saying i need an ivy but there gotta be some schools where i stand chance.

which ones could those be?

btw m also considering going for ms in finance but unfortunately there's very little to find about these progs and how to make it to them

by sukkhi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:22 am

by MBA Ivy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:28 am
Coming straight out of school you would have an easier time getting into an M.S. program, than an MBA. Info can be found by going to each school's own website.

In terms of which low to (possibly) mid-level schools accept students straight out of school, I am afraid I am the wrong person to ask. I really specialize in the "Top Ten" and Ivy League MBA programs, and though I always suggest mid-level schools as "safety schools" for my clients, I do not know of any in the top 20 off hand that will take you with just one year of work experience. Sorry!

MBA Ivy League

www.MBAIvyLeague.com