How to evaluate schools

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How to evaluate schools

by vaibhav0101bhatt » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:43 am
Hey everyone,

I have scored 730 in gmat and have an entrepreneurial background. I am applying to top 7 business schools in US. I wanna know, how should i answer that "ABC school helps me achieve my goals". I mean i know how an MBA from IVY league college will help me but how a particular school is different from the other.

For example

how kellog is different from wharton?
how stanford is different from columbia?

thanks in advance
Vaibhav Bhatt

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by MBA Decoder » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:54 am
vaibhav0101bhatt wrote:Hey everyone,
/quote]

Hi Vaibhav,

You have a very valid question here. When you look at the primary information availableu, which is essentially through the school website or brochures, it is difficult to make out differences between programs. For a first time applicant this can be really mind boggling.

While the offerings of two b-schools may be quite similar (most b-schools will have specializations in strategy, marketing, finance or entrepreneurship), however the extent to which they offer depth in these offerings may differ. For example, Wharton is quintessentially a Finance program while Stanford is the mecca for entrepreneurship. Columbia is again a financial powerhouse.

Here are a couple of things you can do to scratch beneath the surface:
1. talk to current students and recent alumni - this is by far the best way to dig deeper and form your opinions. B-schools have "connect" programs or you can reach out to position members of clubs that interest you.
2. Register yourself for the MBA info-sessions that all b-schools are currently holding in some metros in India. These fill up fast, so you should visit the tour events of all the b-schools n your list and register yourself there. Some programs don't hold individual sessions but come with MBA Tour. Info sessions are another great way to understand about a b-school over and above what is presented on the website. Moreover, its perfect opportunity to network with alumni. B-schools have also been tracking your contact with them- its not going to get them to make a decision in your favor, but yes, you will get noticed.
3. Online Chat session, webinars held by b-schools periodically.
4. Student blogs are an amazing wealth of information and will help you get to know specific elements of the program quite well as well as become more aware about students and student life in general.

More than anything else, the campus vibe will be different at each b-school and the methods I have mentioned above will be your best ways to do the research.

Now, just to add another note- the top 7-8 programs are difficult to get into. Consider spreading your eggs in more baskets :). A few of the other slightly lower ranked, but equally good programs will ensure you have a few admits this year.

Reach out to discuss further.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:45 am
vaibhav0101bhatt wrote:Hey everyone,

I have scored 730 in gmat and have an entrepreneurial background. I am applying to top 7 business schools in US. I wanna know, how should i answer that "ABC school helps me achieve my goals". I mean i know how an MBA from IVY league college will help me but how a particular school is different from the other.

For example

how kellog is different from wharton?
how stanford is different from columbia?

thanks in advance
Vaibhav Bhatt
An excellent way to start differentiating schools from one another is by arriving at a set post - MBA goal.
What is it that you want to pursue after MBA - once you have arrived at the answer, only then can you address the question of how a particular school would help you in achieving these goals.

Business schools differ from each other in teaching methodology, class size, specializations offered, top area of study, top employers, etc. Some students prefer to study in schools with a smaller class size to get better attention while others are quite particular about the teaching methodology that a school adopts - case studies over lectures and the focus on these case studies.

And obviously schools differ from one another in specialization. B- Schools are generally known for a particular specialization like Kellogg produces more consultants than any other school, UT - Austin McCombs is known for Energy, etc. (Ofcourse HBS Stanford and Wharton are at the top of the list for many specializations). Not all schools offer all the specializations out there - for example, MBA with a specialization in healthcare is not offered by all schools. Like I was saying before, if you are sure about your future career goals, you can easily sort schools based on your requirement.

B-Schools generally publish employment statistics each year. On their website you can check these statistics to know which is the top industry at a particular school, which specialization has most students in it.

Sometimes, location of the school is also a factor for some students. Schools also differ in the scholarships and financial aid offered and the remuneration post MBA. Of course, some of these things are taken into consideration once you have multiple admits.

Schools also differ from one another in their alumni base. This is an important aspect because it will decide the kind of networking opportunities you will have later. If a school has a large and wide network of alumni spread across 10 countries in all continents, it will increase the number of locations where you would have a chance of getting placed.

Hope this helps

www.InterviewBay.com
Application Reviews & Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School