Pretzel

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Pretzel

by greenwich » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:45 pm
Pretzel vendor: The new license fee for operating a pretzel stand outside the art museum is prohibitively expensive. Charging typical prices, a vendor would need to sell an average of 25 pretzels per hour to break even. At my stand outside city hall, I average only 15 per hour. Therefore, I could not break even running a pretzel stand outside the art museum, much less turn a profit.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the pretzel vendor's argument?

(A) There is currently no license fee for operating a pretzel stand outside city hall.
(B) Pretzel vendors who operate stands outside the art museum were making a profit before the imposition of the new license fee.
(C) The number of pretzel stands outside the art museum is no greater than the number of pretzel stands now outside city hall.
(D) People who buy pretzels at pretzel stands are most likely to do so during the hours at which the art museum is open to the public.
(E) Fewer people passing the art museum than passing city hall are likely to buy pretzels.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:23 pm
HI greenwich,

For this CR prompt, we need to understand the pretzel vendor's logic, then find an answer that strengthens it.

The Facts:
-The new license fee for operating a pretzel stand outside the museum is expensive.
-Charging typical prices, a vendor needs to sell 25 pretzels/hr. just to break even.
-Outside city hall, the vendor averages just 15 pretzels/hr.

The Conclusion:
-The vendor could not break even running a stand at the museum, must less turn a profit.

The Logic:
The pretzel vendor is comparing the "situation" at the museum to the "situation" at city hall. Assuming all of the other variables (potential customers, cost of supplies, competition, etc.) are the same, then the vendor has a solid argument. To strengthen that argument, we either need an answer that confirms everything the vendor assumes OR that points out that the situation is even worse than the vendor thinks it would be.

Answer E describes how the situation would be even worse because the potential customer base would be even lower than what the vendor sees at city hall.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by greenwich » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:30 am
[email protected] wrote:HI greenwich,

For this CR prompt, we need to understand the pretzel vendor's logic, then find an answer that strengthens it.

The Facts:
-The new license fee for operating a pretzel stand outside the museum is expensive.
-Charging typical prices, a vendor needs to sell 25 pretzels/hr. just to break even.

The Conclusion:
-The vendor could not break even running a stand at the museum, must less turn a profit.

The Logic:
The pretzel vendor is comparing the "situation" at the museum to the "situation" at city hall. Assuming all of the other variables (potential customers, cost of supplies, competition, etc.) are the same, then the vendor has a solid argument. To strengthen that argument, we either need an answer that confirms everything the vendor assumes OR that points out that the situation is even worse than the vendor thinks it would be.

Answer E describes how the situation would be even worse because the potential customer base would be even lower than what the vendor sees at city hall.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Thanks Rich, could you explain why C is wrong?

by greenwich » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:57 pm
Anyone? What's wrong with C?

Followed by:1 members

by BTGmoderatorAT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:56 am
People who go to the Art Museum are more likely to be the potential customers as they are mostly tourists and students, whereas people who go to the City Hall have Business purposes.Does this argument makes sense?

Followed by:3 members

by rsarashi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:45 am
[email protected] wrote:HI greenwich,

The Facts:

The Conclusion:

The Logic:

Hi Rich ,

Can you please explain that why D is wrong?

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:10 pm
rsarashi wrote:Can you please explain that why D is wrong?
D: People who buy pretzels at pretzel stands are most likely to do so during the hours at which the art museum is open to the public.
Here, it is possible that the people who buy pretzels when the museum is open will purchase far more than 25 pretzels per hour, WEAKENING the conclusion that the vendor will not be able to earn a profit.
Since the correct answer choice must STRENGTHEN the conclusion, eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3