Question on definitions

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

Question on definitions

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:07 pm
This question relates to a problem found in Exam Pack 1, which is given as follows:
If k is a common multiple of 75, 98, and 140, which of the following statements are true?

I. k is divisible by 9
II. k is divisible by 49
III. k is greater than 14,000

A. II only
B. III only
C. I and II only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

0 is a multiple of each of the three numbers, as is -14,700, etc. The Least Common Multiple of three positive integers is defined as the least positive common multiple because there is no least common multiple otherwise: any arbitrarily small negative number will do.

It seems controversial to declare that all common multiples must be greater than or equal to the Least Common Multiple when the LCM isn't actually the "least" one, but is simply named that and defined otherwise. (Not to make a bad pun, but it ought to be called the Least Natural Common Multiple.) It seems even more controversial to punish test takers with a different notion of multiples for selecting answer A, especially given the GMAT's propensity to test students' ability to consider prominent exceptional numbers, such as 0.

What's your source for your interpretation? In his "Elementary Theory of Numbers", Sierpinski makes the distinction between "common multiples" and "common multiples which are natural numbers", and he explicitly defines the LCM as the smallest of the second set. I'm curious what would supersede this.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:44 pm
Hi, Matt. I shared your question with our psychometric team. Please note it will probably take a few days to get a response. Thanks for the inquiry!

Rebecca
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:25 pm
Thanks Rebecca! Definitely keen to learn more.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by dabral » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:15 am
This looks like one of those questions where GMAT test writers slipped, they do make mistakes from time to time, although at a fairly low frequency. Changing the problem statement to: "If k is positive and a common multiple of 75, 98, and 140.." would have removed the ambiguity. In general on the GMAT the questions are almost always restricted to positive factors and multiples, this is based on me parsing through official GMAT problems. But I agree that in this problem they need to be explicit about this restriction. I have not seen an instance on an official GMAT where one was required to use the fact that -24 is a multiple of 6, and -6 is a factor of 12.

Cheers,
Dabral
Free Video Explanations: 2021 GMAT OFFICIAL GUIDE.