High scores on mock tests but low on actual tests. Help!!!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear BTG community,

I have taken GMAT three times and my scores were 650-670-690 with 49-50 on Quant and 30-32 on Verbal. I took the test the third times yesterday and the result was 690 (Q50-V32-IR7).I usually scored very high on the past mock tests as follows:

Gmatprep 1: 760 (49-44)
Gmatprep 2: 770 (50-46)
Exampack 1: 740 (49-41)
Exampack 2: 770 (50-44)

Therefore, I was very confident to go to the test center to take the actual GMAT. But the result was totally disappointed. I also didnt feel rush or any mental issues when taking the test.

My application this year for Round 1 is approaching and I need to retake the test next September. Thus, any helpful advice and recommendation is highly welcome.

I am terribly confused now since I don't know what to do and how to study the GMAT. I am also thinking of registering a Verbal Course ($199) provided by e-GMAT. Has anyone have experience with this course? Honestly, I am impressed by the testimonials on the website, but since I am working in Marketing, I know I should consider it more seriously.
Last edited by pirimidin on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:32 am
Just a comment, my guess is that SC is your problem area as you have a few basic grammatical errors in your note above. Most specifically, the errors are within verb form, which is a rather large topic on the GMAT.

Good luck!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by pirimidin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:09 am
Dear Jim,

Thanks for your comment

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:43 am
Hi pirimidin,

A 690/Q50 is a great score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile), so you're in position to apply to any US Business School, and as such you don't have any real problem here.

Since your Official GMAT scores are noticeably lower than your practice CAT scores, some analysis of how you took those practice CATs is in order. The value of "realism" cannot be overstated in these situations, so here are some things to consider regarding your practice CATS:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including the Essay and IR) or did you ever skip sections?
2) Since you've taken the GMAT 3 times, how many times have you taken these practice CATs? Are any of these a "retake" from when you studied before?
3) Did the time-of-day/day-of-week that you took these practice CATs match your Official GMAT?
4) Did you take these CATs on a desktop or laptop computer?
5) How long was the ride to the Testing Center?
6) What did you do differently on Test Day that you didn't do on the days that you took your CATs?
Etc.

If you decide to retake the GMAT, you should make sure to do some serious review of how you study. Your Official Scores all revolve around 670, so unless you make some significant changes to how you approach the overall Test (and the Verbal section specifically), I would expect that you would score in that same range again.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]