Profile Evaluation - GMAT 670 (Q46 & V36), 5 years Exp

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

Could a consultant please provide feedback on my profile with quick assessment of my chances to get into at the Wharton, Columbia, LBS, Insead & Kellogg for start in mid 2015.

I took a GMAT yesterday for the first time and got the score of 670 / 83 Percentile (Q46 & V36). Although, I am not completely disappointed with the score but I do understand that I am sitting on a weird score. Anyways, I would request for your evaluation of my profile to suggest whether I would still be a good/ competitive application (with my GMAT Score and Work Exp.) to the schools mentioned above for start in mid 2015 or whether I should go for a re-take of GMAT to improve my chances.

Background :
Industry - International Oil & Gas, and LNG Industry
Undergrad - Bachelor in Civil Engineering- 78% (Department Gold Medalist)
Post Grad (2 yrs) - Masters in Construction Management - 9.69 CGPA (from a top university in India)

Work Experience:
Domain - Contract Management for multi-billion dollar Capital Projects in Oil & Gas, and LNG Industry

1. (Current) 27 months as Contracts Engineer on USD 25 Billion value world's first CSG to LNG Project, Australia (Based at Corporate HQ)

Major duties performed on the project include preparing contracting strategies, performing contracting activities - at both pre-award and post-ward stages, claims management, performance management, dispute avoidance and vendor management.

2. 33 months at an International EPC Company for a USD 1.5 Billion project in India.

Started as a Senior Planning Engineer and got promoted to the position of Asst. Contracts Manager. Major duties performed on the project included preparing contracting strategies, project execution plan, performing contracting activities - at both pre-award and post-ward stages, and project control and monitoring activities. During the project, I lead a team of two contracts administrators on the project.

Extra-curricular :
"¢ Served as the General Secretary of Counsel Body;
"¢ Served as the Co-Founder and Chairman of Organizing Committee of the Student Soft Skills Development Forum at Undergrad level.
"¢ Core Member for College technical and cultural festival in undergrad program
"¢ Have been a member of a NGO dedicated at creating a better society for the last 7 years.

Award:
"¢ Received Gold Medal Award for Academic Excellence in Nov 2008 from a prominent institute for construction industry in India.
"¢ Gold Medal for academic performance in the Bachelor Degree.

Post MBA Goal:
Consulting job in Supply Chain Management / Contracts Management

So, could you please let me know if the score of 670 seems usable or would you suggest to re-take the GMAT to try n achieve 700+.

Thank you,

Regards, Rajpreja.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:09 am
[email protected] wrote:Hello,

Could a consultant please provide feedback on my profile with quick assessment of my chances to get into at the Wharton, Columbia, LBS, Insead & Kellogg for start in mid 2015.

I took a GMAT yesterday for the first time and got the score of 670 / 83 Percentile (Q46 & V36). Although, I am not completely disappointed with the score but I do understand that I am sitting on a weird score. Anyways, I would request for your evaluation of my profile to suggest whether I would still be a good/ competitive application (with my GMAT Score and Work Exp.) to the schools mentioned above for start in mid 2015 or whether I should go for a re-take of GMAT to improve my chances.

Background :
Post Grad (2 yrs) - Masters in Construction Management - 9.69 CGPA (from a top university in India)

Work Experience:
Domain - Contract Management for multi-billion dollar Capital Projects in Oil & Gas, and LNG Industry

1. (Current) 27 months as Contracts Engineer on USD 25 Billion value world's first CSG to LNG Project, Australia (Based at Corporate HQ)

Major duties performed on the project include preparing contracting strategies, performing contracting activities - at both pre-award and post-ward stages, claims management, performance management, dispute avoidance and vendor management.

2. 33 months at an International EPC Company for a USD 1.5 Billion project in India.

Started as a Senior Planning Engineer and got promoted to the position of Asst. Contracts Manager. Major duties performed on the project included preparing contracting strategies, project execution plan, performing contracting activities - at both pre-award and post-ward stages, and project control and monitoring activities. During the project, I lead a team of two contracts administrators on the project.

Extra-curricular :
"¢ Served as the Co-Founder and Chairman of Organizing Committee of the Student Soft Skills Development Forum at Undergrad level.
"¢ Have been a member of a NGO dedicated at creating a better society for the last 7 years.

Award:
"¢ Received Gold Medal Award for Academic Excellence in Nov 2008 from a prominent institute for construction industry in India.

Post MBA Goal:

So, could you please let me know if the score of 670 seems usable or would you suggest to re-take the GMAT to try n achieve 700+.

Thank you,

Regards, Rajpreja.
Hi Raj,

An excellent career growth backed by strong academic performance in a distinct industry are your strengths. To a great extent, your academic prowess is deomnstrated by fantastic PG performance as well.

This being your first attempt at GMAT, I strongly suggest you re-take the exam. There is a good chance you will be able to cross the 700- 720 mark and put yourself in a position of strenght. you will be competing with fellow applicants with extremely high scores, and the high score will level the playing field for you. Good Luck with everything!God Bless!
Mansie Dewan

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:10 am
[email protected] wrote:Hello,

Background :

Work Experience:

Extra-curricular :

Award:

Post MBA Goal:

Thank you,

Regards, Rajpreja.
Hi Raj,

An excellent career growth backed by strong academic performance in a distinct industry are your strengths. To a great extent, your academic prowess is deomnstrated by fantastic PG performance as well.

This being your first attempt at GMAT, I strongly suggest you re-take the exam. There is a good chance you will be able to cross the 700- 720 mark and put yourself in a position of strenght. you will be competing with fellow applicants with extremely high scores, and the high score will level the playing field for you. Good Luck with everything!God Bless!
Mansie Dewan

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:29 pm
Thank you, Mainsie. Appreciate your feedback on the profile. I have already fixed my date for re-take of GMAT in Sep'14.

So, could you please advise if applying to the schools in Round 2 (as I would only be ready with essays by mid Oct'14) would affect my chances to get admitted.

Your help is appreciated.

Rgds, Raj.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:17 pm
Hey Raj,

Don't try for R1. You need the retake in hand before you really shortlist schools. You don't want to pick based on the 670 and then rock out with a 730. That changes things! The GMAT is only one part of the process but it's a BIG part. Good luck!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:47 pm
[email protected] wrote:Thank you, Mainsie. Appreciate your feedback on the profile. I have already fixed my date for re-take of GMAT in Sep'14.

So, could you please advise if applying to the schools in Round 2 (as I would only be ready with essays by mid Oct'14) would affect my chances to get admitted.

Your help is appreciated.

Rgds, Raj.
Not at all Raj. You should infact aim for R2.
Mansie Dewan