OG13 CR#95: Explain Please !

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

OG13 CR#95: Explain Please !

by tanvis1120 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:06 pm
Hi Experts,

I think Option B weakens the argument instead of strengthening it. I could not make out anything from OG explanation also, please help!
Attachments
image (2).jpeg

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:31 pm
Hi tanvis1120,

This CR prompt has an quirky "construction" to it. I ended up getting to the correct answer by eliminating the 4 wrong answers. Here's how:

The Facts:
-Studies show that customers who pay a restaurant bill IN CASH tend to tip higher when the bill comes on a TRAY WITH A CREDIT-CARD LOGO ON IT.

Psychologists Conclusion:
-A CREDIT-CARD HOLDER will be willing to spend more when they see a CREDIT-CARD LOGO on a tray....

The Logic:
-The psychologists make some real "loose" connections in their thinking. They assume that the people PAYING the restaurant bill in cash also HAVE a credit-card and NOTICED the credit-card LOGO on the tray AND RESPONDED to the logo by giving more money. This whole idea hinges on people seeing a credit-card logo and reacting to it.

We're asked to strengthen the psychologists' thinking. We likely need an answer that talks about people who pay the bill at restaurants AND how they REALLY DO REACT to seeing a CREDIT-CARD LOGO. The only answer that discusses this idea at all is Answer B. It wasn't the answer I was looking for when I started, but it's the only one that addresses the logic that the psychologists use.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]