Help in planning for the GMAT after working long hours!!!!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I don't even know where to start. I work super long hours. Currently my day begins at 6:30 and I get home around 6:00 M-F.
What steps do I need to make to maximize my study time?
How many hours should I put in?
How should I break down all these topics?
I signed up for Kaplan On Demand and I am overwhelmed by all the information right now. If I can get in to the 600s I will be happy. My first diagnostic was only 420! How can that be when I earned a 3.6 in my undergraduate studies. Again, I am overwhelmed. Please help!!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:33 pm
Take it slowly. You aren't going to get there right away. Stay consistent and work on this for at least 30 minutes in a day; although, 60-90 is preferable if you can keep up the daily routine.

As for the topics, here is how I break down the quant section: GMAT Quant Review
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:06 pm
Hi future cpa,

Learning all of the necessary content, tactics and pacing skills necessary to score well on the GMAT takes time. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on the process; during that time, 10-15 hours per week of study is common.

When are you planning to take your GMAT?
What schools are you planning to apply to? And when?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:15 pm
Two tips!

(1) If you live somewhere that has public transit, take that in the morning/evening and try to study on the train.

(2) Use your lunch break! If you typically walk somewhere to eat with coworkers, be antisocial for a bit, bring your lunch/order delivery, and work on questions for 30-60 minutes during your break.

The more study time the better, especially if it's time where you aren't mentally exhausted (read: after 12 hours at work.) You want to study EVERY DAY: the GMAT, like a language, responds best to immersion. (If you only study on Saturdays, you'll be spending most of your time catching up on everything you've forgotten since last Saturday.)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by future cpa » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:16 pm
Thanks everyone! I plan on taking the test in mid November. I am dong okay so far, but I am having issues with the algebra. I have read the chapters in my Kaplan premier book, watched the classes, and have done many problems. It just is not clicking. Picking #s is tricky and so is the data suff. It could be poss or neg, integer not an integer, etc ... It makes my brain hurt! Oddly, I am not too bad a geometry for never taking a class. I borrowed my nephew's Math is Fun! workbook and learned geometry that way.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 pm
Hi future cpa,

Have you taken any FULL-length practice CATs since your original post? If so, then how did you score? If not, then it would probably be a good idea to take one (maybe this weekend) to see how your skills are developing.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]