Profile Evaluation Please, just over 2 years work exp

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I graduated in Global Studies at UCSB with a 3.3
Have been working at tech startup for the last 2 years, first in administration, then in finance where I have been doing well
I would like to apply to bschool in fall of 2015 (3 years work exp by then)
I am just now starting to get involved with a local non profit whose cause I truly care about

I am mapping out my gmat study schedule and will most likely aim for march of next year.

Ideally I would like to be in the bay area for school (vibrant tech community) bc I want to stay in tech, My career goal is to become a c-level exec at small/med size company and scale it. I would also be open to checking out the east coast for 2 years while in school.

Any suggestions on what my chances are for top 20 schools? What should I aim for on my gmat?

Thanks so much!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:18 am
Hello elishaks,

Thank you for your post!

As you may be aware, there are several elements of your candidacy that you'll need to consider for a successful MBA admissions process. Let's start with your academics. While a 3.3 is an acceptable GPA, it falls below the typical 3.5 average at top programs. Moreover, the fact that you attended a second tier university will put more weight on the GMAT. You will need to score a 700+ on the GMAT (with an 80%+ in each section) to strengthen your academic profile and assure the adcom that you could handle the rigorous quantitative coursework. It looks like Global Studies at UCSB did not involve much quantitative coursework, so you could even start trying to build an alternative transcript to showcase your abilities.

It looks like you have been making progress in your career, which is exactly what adcoms will want to see. You'll want to be sure to highlight your leadership experience and quantified impact. Hopefully, you can do the same for your work with the local non-profit. Keep in mind that the adcoms like well-rounded applicants, so you will also want to consider how your other community leadership and casual interests can come into play.

It's also nice that you have a framework for your goals, but I encourage you to flesh this out even further. Consider the impact you want to have, and go so far as to defining your position as well as identifying 2-3 firms you would target and why.

When you are ready to start compiling your applications, please contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.